Getting In and Out of Darn Coop! [Without Stepping on Chicks!]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lfreem2, Apr 28, 2011.

1. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    How in the world do y'all get in and out of your human door in your run or coop?

It seems like a stupid question, but my birds are insanely happy to see me every time I come in to check on them, bring them food, etc. I open the door and try to slither in or out so they can't come out of the run, and inevitably one or two of 'em pops out. It's almost impossible not to step on their toes as I'm trying to get in.

They eagerly try to fly up on my shoulder or hang onto me to have me pet them wherever they can. I adore that they love me and are are eager to see me, but this is getting a little crazy.

Do you guys manage to get in and out without having a bird run out?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You can run wire 2 feet up across the bottom of the doorway. You still step over it very carefully, but at least no birds get out.

Also, if you toss a small amount of treats into the center of the coop or run as you enter they will all dive for it allowing you to get in easily.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I was afraid this would happen too so we are planning a storage area to enter into first with the coop door leading out of the storage area. So if you have space for a storage area.

In my smaller coop I have a board to reduce exscapees--I need to make it higher!!! 12 inches is not enough. SOme days I feel mobbed and worry I won't be able to catch the ones that do exscape. Very stressful.

4. chickybokbok

chickybokbok Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Tipton, Indiana
    I wish that was my problem. My chicks are 3 months old and they still run from me!

5. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I keep a bit of cracked corn in my pocket and toss it away from me. They go running and I step out, quickly!

6. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:Do you spend any time just sitting with them and/or take them treats? I like to take young pullets out in the grass in a portable fence and sit in the middle while they eat their salad and bugs (I move to a new area pretty much every day so I don't end up sitting in poo). Occasionally, I'll drop a few treats in the grass. It tends to make them very friendly! [​IMG]

7. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    Quote:Do you spend any time just sitting with them and/or take them treats? I like to take young pullets out in the grass in a portable fence and sit in the middle while they eat their salad and bugs (I move to a new area pretty much every day so I don't end up sitting in poo). Occasionally, I'll drop a few treats in the grass. It tends to make them very friendly! [​IMG]

Our chicks are just about 6 weeks old. We have done a lot of handling of them since they came home at 1 day old. Every day the kids and I would sit them on our lap and hold one or two at a time for about 5 minutes. They quickly became very tame with that, and I don't think it's too late to do that if you haven't already.

I also do what Katydid said, in that I go into the run every day and sit with them and hold them and pet them. They love for me to be there even if I don't bring a treat or food of any kind. Of course, when I bring in grass clippings or dandelion leaves its like a circus. They are immediately trying to fly up on me to see what I've got.

I also have very friendly breeds, so I think that's a huge plus to start with. The Speckled Sussex have turned out to be marvelous birds with super friendly personalities to spare. Which is why I'm having this issue of them running to see us when we open the run door.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  8. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    If your coop is big enough you could build a stud wall a few feet inside the people door, and put chicken wire on it, also a cafe door will keep them in, that will give you the room you need. there will also be storage room for feed and whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by