Getting into quail Here's my plan suggests welcome

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickenjoe, Mar 26, 2011.

1. chickenjoe

chickenjoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Got the Application from DEC just need to fill it out an send it back with the fee.

Planning on getting 120 coturnix eggs

make 2 4x8x2 cages

1 will be for breeding a 1/4 of it will be covered with plywood for winter time protection

1 will be a grow out cage

from what have read there a 50-60 % hatch rate

heres the math.

120 /2 = 60 hatch rate

60 -30 males = 30 females

keep 20 females and 6 males for breeading/eggs

end with 10 females and 22 male for meat = 32

I need to know what size brooder would good to build.

I know that these wouldn't be exact number just ones to do planing.

Does anyone think I'm jumping in to fast. Or should i start off with less eggs.

Any suggestion are helpful.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:i've gotten eggs shipped to me where it was alot higher % than 50% hatch and the likelihood that you are going to get 30:30 ratio is also unlikely
    i don't think 120 eggs is too big a # to start off with though. You'll have time to put together a couple more cages if necessary before they need to be split up as they'll be in the brooder for about 4 weeks anyway.
    have fun with your new endeavor! [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Your Sex Ratio Is Tilted... Coturnix Do Best At 1: 5-8. Any Less Hens There Will Rough Treatment To The Hens Themselves And The Lads Will Be Prone To Fighting.

4. mhwc56

Quote:X2

5. chickenjoe

Apr 22, 2009
    Quote:So less males per females, I went with the other ration because some people keep 3-4 groupings. What size brooder would good for that many birds.

6. mhwc56

1 rooster for every half dozen hens.....

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:So less males per females, I went with the other ration because some people keep 3-4 groupings. What size brooder would good for that many birds.

EASIEST WAY AND MOST FLEXIBLE AND CHEAPEST I HAVE FOUND IS THE LARGE STERILITE OR RUBBERMAID TOTES. I USE THE LARGER STERILITE TOTES AND WILL START OFF WITH AROUND 2 DZ OR SO FRESH PEEPERS IN THERE, THEN AS TIME GOES ON AND SIZES EXPAND I END UP WITH LESS BIRDS PER TOTE UNTTIL ALL ARE READY FOR A GROW OUT PEN. JUST RUN DOWN TO THE LOCAL DOLLAR GENERAL STORE AND BUY SOME TOTES WITH LIDS... COME HOME AND CUT ABOUT 2/3'S OF THE MIDDLE OUT OF THE LIDS LEAVING A PLASTIC RING... STRETCH A LIL CHICKEN WIRE OR HARDWARE CLOTH OVER THE OPENING AND ZIP TIE IN PLACE AND TA DA! 1 BROODER READY TO USE... JUST PLACE THE HEAT LIGHT DIRECTLY ON THE CHICKEN WIRE (NEVER OVER ANY PLASTIC) AND INSERT FEED AND WATER SOURCES + CHICKS= BADA BING! YOUR BROODIN [​IMG]

I HAVE STACKS OF THEM I USE SIMPLY FOR BROODING. WHEN THE BROODER IS DIRTY AND NEEDS CLEANING I SIMPLY SET UP A NEW 1 AND TRANSFER OVER THE LIL FUZZY BUTTS... NOW I CAN CLEAN THE DIRTY 1 AT MY LEISURE WITHOUT ANY ESCAPEES OR OTHER ANNOYANCES. THE WHOLE SET UP CAN BE SANITIZED EASILY WITH A 30 MINUTE BLEACH WATER SOAK AND THEN ALLOWED TO AIR DRY.

8. thai

thai Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    san diego
    i see you have some planning, but don't forget about planning to clean their poop, 120 quails will produce enough poop to fill up your sleeves in 3 days, they're pooping machine !!! i sugest you buy a big 50 gallons trash bin to store their poop.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  9. mhwc56

Quote:enough to "fill up your sleeves" ? ROFL...gee THANKS for THAT visual image ....[​IMG]

10. chickenjoe

Apr 22, 2009
    That what the compost pile is for.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by