Getting it going....finally!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lil'chickies, Apr 2, 2009.

1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    We are using pallet for the 'bones' of our coop. The floor is finally done, but it was so windy today, we stopped there. It's going to be 20x16. On one side I am sectioning out a 4x8 storage room and a 4x8 isolation/breeding pen. The front will be solid on bottom and the top half screened with covers that can be shut during rain or cold weather. We also have a bunch of windows from when the ones on the house were replaced to use. We are going to install them to where they can be opened from outside with the screening on the inside. The run on front will be 20x15 and not sure about the one off the other pen. I also want to put the PVC feeders into both pens but make them so I can fill them straight from the storage room. We'll see how I can work that one out. Here's some pics from today.

Hubby working hard.
    [​IMG]

Still at it!! It's going to be huge!!
    [​IMG]

He is such a hard worker and very tolerant of his CRAZY CHICKEN OBSESSED WIFE!! Gotta love him!!
    [​IMG]

I'll update as we get along with it!!

2. CityFolk

CityFolk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Wow, is that going to be the biggest chicken coop ever?

3. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    We decided to go big so we don't have to add on right away. Yeah right!! If I get my way we will be adding on next Spring!! [​IMG]

Don't tell hubby though. He might flip out!! [​IMG]

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Hmmm now you've got me thinking. Pallets, huh?? OMG if I change the design of this coop one more time. ROFL!!

It looks like your husband is working hard!

Good luck with it!!

Laurie

5. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    He does work hard, even if I drive him crazy the whole time! He puts up with me.

6. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Love the use of pallets as the foundation and floor. Wish I had access to that many.. Really HAVE to source some in this area.

7. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Looking good. I have a couple of questions. Is that being staked or anchored to the ground somehow. I would just hate to see it blown away by a big wind storm.

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Great idea! [​IMG]

9. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    The pallets weigh so much, we don't have to stake it down. We already had some 60 mph winds in the last few days and nothing budged. The finished building will be heavy as well. Those pallets weigh a lot more than you would think they do. Hopefully we can work on it today. Wind isn't going crazy yet, so we will try!!

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I tried this one time. More power to you! I didn't have the energy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by