Getting Jersey Giants Whites, YAY!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PoultryParadise, Dec 1, 2010.

1. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    I am finally getting some Jersey Giants whites. I am so happy. I have been looking for a good, non-hatchery, handful of them scince spring.
    Does anyone have a picture of their cute White Jerseys?
    Can anyone tell me what their hens/roos weights are, I am led to believe they are smaller birds than the Jersey blacks, and I have never met anyone else with whites.
    Thanks. I am so Hap-ap-apy:D

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Standard weights are the same for all three recognized varieties of Jersey Giants.

3. PoultryParadise

Nov 30, 2010
    Quote:The reason I was asking what others who have white jerseys weights are is because I have heard a number of times that they tend to be smaller than the blacks. If they are the same weight then great for me, getting whites latter today. I just don't want to get me hopes up.

"The Black Jersey Giants are averaging a pound heavier than the White Jersey Giants." from http://www.valechickens.co.uk/breed-info-sheets

and

"The
    Black variety is slightly larger than the White." from http://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-farming/Jersey-Giant-heritage-poultry-zeylaf.aspx

Can
    anyone give me examples of their White Jersey Giants size?

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    They should not be if you give them the right high protein feed.

5. PoultryParadise

Nov 30, 2010
    Quote:What protien level should that be?

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    at least 20% maybe 24% is best. keep in mind JG takes around 18 months to reach full size
    good luck punky

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
  8. PoultryParadise

Nov 30, 2010
    Quote:http://www.mariasjerseygiants.com/QuestionAnswers.html

The website you posted said nothing about white jerseys. They don't actually keep white Jerseys.
    I have all my layers on 20% layer, Oyster shells, kitchen scraps, and they eat cracked corn in the pig area every day (they keep the place clean) plus they are free ranging for most of the year. I was going to put these white jerseys on the same.

My basic question is for other White Jersey Giant owners to let me know how big their White jerseys are, as I have read numerous times that they are a good pound less on average than other colours of Jerseys. I know no one who directly owns white jerseys, thus don't don't anything but what I have read on the breed and would just like someone to confirm or deny with their own experience of the breed.
    I thank you for your imput though.

9. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    they are the same breed just a different color

10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by