1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Getting jersey woolies- help with cage setup

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Farming Frenzy, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Songster

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    Hello guys,

In about a month I will be getting 2 new rabbits. I found a breeder who keeps her bunnies outside and has some gorgeous dwarfs and jerseys.
    [​IMG]

I have 2 empty bird aviaries- pelase tell me what you think of them, are they suitable for keeping 2 jersey woolies? One is about 1m wide and 2m longand 2m high walk in aviary with double safety doors, wooden planks as flooring and a platform high where the birds used to eat. I will stoor bales of hay there. The back is a wooden wall, the front is wire mesh. I plan on putting the male in there, with all necessary rabbit toys and equipment. The other is bigger, it is a square/rectangle about 2m long, 2m wide and 2m high. 1/4 is dirt with short but thick grass ( very healthy, perfect for rabbits ). The rest is a concrete slab. It has wire mesh, with one small bit of wall that is wood to provide cover/shelter from wind near the door. See pic- sorry for my bad writing on image, I used a sketch app on ipad so it was hard! :D[​IMG]

thanks guys please let me know if you think they would be ok for raising one male and a female in separate cages. I plan on breeding, that is why I chose female to have bigger cage, is that an ok choice?

2. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Songster

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    also, yes I have researched a lot and know all the negatives and problems I may get in breeding my female, but I hope and think it will go fine. I know that I will be Ble to find homes for the babies, and if by some unlikely reason I can't, I have the room to keep them. I won't breed until she is at least 5 months and he 6 months.

3. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Songster

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    anyone?

4. aprille218

aprille218 Songster

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    I would be concerned about the mess on the boards from the buck and digging from the doe in the grass area for the doe. A raised wire floor is usually a better choice especially for a wooled breed.
    Aprille

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: