Getting khakis used to their new house...help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucksOhio, Oct 17, 2016.

1. DucksOhio

DucksOhio Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    My neighbor adopted 6 khaki Campbell ducklings in the spring. I've been helping to care for them, and have grown quite attached.

The ducks did not have adequate housing until a few days ago, when my husband, neighbor and I built a pretty sweet enclosure for them. It's 6' x 20', with a large duck bedroom, and large open area (enclosed with hardware cloth. It's definitely predator proof with plenty of room.

The first night, it took over an hour to get the ducks inside (and with the help of 6 other friends).

It was suggested to us that we leave the ducks in their new house for about 5 days, to get used to it. (This advice by a chicken owner).

My neighbor seems reluctant to let them back outside, even after 5 days, because they were difficult to get in the house in the first place.

Any suggestions on how to best get them in their enclosure at night? I'll likely be doing this on my own, and I feel really guilty about them being inside for so long.

2. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    I am a new duck owner so I dont have much experience but there are no replies yet lol. I fund the calmer I stay and the futher back behind the crew of duck the better I can herd them. if they start going to far over to the right I hold my right arm up and they go left and vise versa. at first it was madness trying to get all 6 of my ducklings to do what i wanted. just keep working with them and practice out in the yard with them by yourself. you might be the only one who will be able to for awhile but I have now my 5 yr old herding the ducks pretty well on his own. it took maybe a couple weeks to get them to do what i wanted but they learned. sometimes they are just stubborn though lol. now my ducks put themselves to bed at night most of the time and by the time I go to lock them up they are all ready there. but the crazier or and more anxious you get the more they will to and you will never get them inside from my experience.

1 person likes this.
  3. DucksOhio

DucksOhio Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    Good points all...especially herding at a distance. I don't want the, to be scared of me.

4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Let them out if they can't get away. Then at dusk herd them in just like someguy said. Stay calm, and wave or flap your arms. A partner might help. I do it every night to my khakis and they still love me[​IMG]

Also just be careful taking advice from chicken people( no offense to anyone). Sometimes they just don't know best, because ducks are a different animal.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Spot on dude. Keep it up[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by