Getting kids a pet?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Theeggboxtoo, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Well I'm a kid and I was wondering what all of your opinions on getting kids puppies, kittens, etc... I've seen a couple posts here that said how kids should not get pets because we're not responsible enough. Can kids have pets without help? Sometimes I think that because I'm a kid it was my fault that my cross beaked chicken died, that if I was an adult I could have saved her.

I don't want to start a debate or anything I'm just looking for opinions

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think some kids are perfectly capable and responsible enough to take care of a pet by themselves. That said, I don't believe any parent should ever get their children a pet with the expectation that the care will be solely the child's responsibility.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over the cross beaked bird. While I don't know the full story, I doubt you would have been able to help more if you were an adult. There's not much you can do for a cross beak bird except for offering a deeper dish and at the very extreme, force feeding. However, that is not an option for many people.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    There are some adults that shouldn't have pets. And there are probably some kids that shouldn't have pets. And some people, young or old, make excellent pet owners. I also think that it can be a great opportunity for parents to help kids learn about animals and help to take care of them.

I'm sorry about your cross-beaked bird [​IMG]

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    A good pet for a kid? Well if you are responsible enough and you work out a deal with your parents, then a pet rat may suite you best. [​IMG]

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    My opinion, is that you shouldn't bring a pet into the home if everyone isn't on board. For kids, that means that your parents have to be on board. Parents, don't get a pet for your kids unless it is a pet you want. Even if the kid is 100% responsible, there is a good chance that the parent will have to take over care at some point in time IE when the kid goes away to college.

Husbands shouldn't get a pet if their wife isn't 100% on board. Wives shouldn't get a pet without their husband being on board. If the kids aren't on board with a parents' pet, then it's not right for the parents to expect the kids to take responsibility for any of the pet chores. Basically, pets are a family affair. The money for food, vet care, emergencies, training, etc all will come from the family funds.

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    My opinion, is that you shouldn't bring a pet into the home if everyone isn't on board. For kids, that means that your parents have to be on board. Parents, don't get a pet for your kids unless it is a pet you want. Even if the kid is 100% responsible, there is a good chance that the parent will have to take over care at some point in time IE when the kid goes away to college.

Husbands shouldn't get a pet if their wife isn't 100% on board. Wives shouldn't get a pet without their husband being on board. If the kids aren't on board with a parents' pet, then it's not right for the parents to expect the kids to take responsibility for any of the pet chores. Basically, pets are a family affair. The money for food, vet care, emergencies, training, etc all will come from the family funds.

Absolutely. X2.[​IMG]

There are some things that you can't do much about. Even the most responsible, educated owners lose their beloved pets. I would hate for my son to feel like he was responsible 100% for a pet & have that pet pass away.​

7. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL

Dianerra said it about the best that anyone could here.

Kids should not get pets that they are 100% responsible for because it is impossible, no matter how responsible the child is. Even if a kid does all of the feeding, cleaning, and grooming chores they still aren't going to be able to drive the pet to the vet when it is sick (ok, some older teens who have their license probably could), and they can't make enough money on their own to provide quality food, veterinary care, and other assorted needs for a pet. No matter how you look at it, the parents are going to be the ones ultimately responsible for the pet. A puppy is a 10-15+ year commitment, a cat is a 12=20 year commitment. Young people just starting out on their own are rarely self reliant enough to be able to afford an animal all on their own, so chances are very high that the parents are going to be the ones caring for that pet for at least a few years while the kids get their own adult life settled out.

Kids can totally be responsible caretakers. There are plenty of kids that take better care of their pets than their own parents would without prompting from the children (and sadly there are kids who are thwarted in their efforts to give their pets the best care by parents who refuse to spend the money on a good food, training, or veterinary care). But at the end of the day when all is said and done, it is the parents who are ultimately responsible for the animal financially and legally.​

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    in our family you can have any pet you want, given its legal, you take care of it and it wont eat our other pets. My husband wants a pygmy marmoset, my youngest a pig, my sonwants bowling pin ducks(runners) , my oldest a horse, i just settle for chickens, emus and a leaf muntjac

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that it depends entirely upon the individual. I have had animals since I was a very young child. Some were pets. Many were a source of nutrition for me and my family. I was taught by my mother that, "If you have an animal, you will treat it with respect and provide all of it's needs for shelter, food and protection." I bought into that philosophy, and so have my now grown children. I would choose to make the assumption that my grand children will carry on the animal keeping philosophy. Some people regardless of the fact that everyone 'buys into' having the pet should NEVER have animals. It's just a fact of life.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My own opinion is that a pet is a family pet, until that pet picks it's human. And the entire family should pitch in with taking care of the animal. A kid is not going to learn how to be responsible toward their pets without some interactions from their parents. Everyone always took turns walking the dog, changing the cat box, feeding the chickens, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by