Getting Local Eggies tomorrow RIRXLeghorn question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, Dec 27, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    The lady had an ad on craigslist for eggs and she's only about 15 minutes from our house. The ad was for eating eggs, however i took a stab at it and called leaving a message with her asking if she by any chance had a roo in with them. She called back about 5 minutes later saying she did!

The roo from what she was saying is a RIR (it's either a purebred RIR or a purebred Leghorn) I was too excited so I kind of forget haha!

Either way, either the Leghorn eggs or the RIR eggs will be purebred chicks. As the hens are leghorns and RIRs.

I'm pretty sure it's the RIR eggs that will be purebred as Im pretty sure she said the roo was RIR.

ANYWHOO.... some questions

is 99.9 a decient temp to keep the inc. at? That's what i have it at now and im a lil paranoid at trying to lower it anymore but if you REALLY think i should i will hehe! It's automatic turning, and the air is circulated. [​IMG]

As a refresher, I want to do dry incubation, so what should i keep the humidity at until the last few days? 40-50%?

How long do Leghorns and RIRs normally take to hatch, 21 days? I've been hatching mostly quails so I always need a refresher when i attempt other birds lol!

ANND last but not least....what does a RIR/Leghorn cross look like anyone got any pics? Curious what the cuties will look like as adults (well and chicks pictures would be interesting too please share)! [​IMG]

Niki

2. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Kay I now know from google (thanks google ha ha) that that cross is actually a purebred of sorts! Sex-linked Golden Comets (they come in so many different names but that seems to be the accepted name).

happy happy joy joy! [​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    This should be fun! [​IMG] Congrats!
    Keeping a forced air incubator at 99.5-100.5°F is good. What is your ambient humidity? In the winter, with the heat on, it's going to be drier, but if it is around 40-50% you should be fine. Bump it up to 65-75% for the last 3 days.

I'll expect pictures in about 3 weeks! [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    OMG Niki!! You are such an addict already! [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

This should be fun! [​IMG] Congrats!
    Keeping a forced air incubator at 99.5-100.5°F is good. What is your ambient humidity? In the winter, with the heat on, it's going to be drier, but if it is around 40-50% you should be fine. Bump it up to 65-75% for the last 3 days.

I'll expect pictures in about 3 weeks! [​IMG]

right now it's at 20% I better get on the ball upping that huh! LOL! Thank you!

AND ohhh yes there WILL be pictures!!!!

thanks!​

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I know, it's so obvious!!!! [​IMG]

Its so much fun though, i fear I can't stop! Okay yes I will....eventually [​IMG] Maybe....kinda...sorta....

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    "Hello, My name is Nikki and I'm a hatchaholic."

Problem is, I've yet to see a successful 12 step program.

[​IMG]

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I already know im hooked, I don't belive theres a 12 program step to stop any of us hatch-a-holics haha! I think what wouldstop us is when we get too many chickens/birds...however then i could just see us resorting to hatching eggs for others [​IMG] hehe!

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    There is no cure for hatchaholicism. Withdrawal symptoms include extreme depression, wandering around clucking like a chicken, and staring longingly in the empty silent incubator. Only by managing the symptoms with a steady stream of eggs in the incubator can a hatchaholic survive in the normal world.

I just fired up the 1502... I was suffering in a bad way and needed a large shot in the arm. [​IMG] Of course, it's not full........... yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by