Getting mad at my meaties..... is this right?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bryan8, Nov 3, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    First off [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok well my meaties will be 5 weeks old tmw. I have 3 cornish X that i got for us to have also for thanksgiveing, as were haveing a bunch of people over and not every one likes turkey. I have a 35-40 bb white turkey thats im processing on the 22nd of nov. I planned on doing my 3 cornish rocks the same day so i dont have to set out everything twice.

The issue is there soo small!!! Ideal said that they will produce on average a 6lb bird in 6 weeks.

There weights are
    1) 2 1/4 lbs
    2) 2 1/4 lbs
    3) 2 lbs

There on a 12 hour feed restiction and they are on 20% flock raiser crumbles

When ever i see them they are always eating. They are still in the brooder and all they do is sit eat and drink. There crops are always full when they have food in front of them.

Please someone chime in. I know they put there weight on the last few weeks but there no where near 6 lbs in 6 weeks unless they tripple there weight in a week. Ahh!!!

Bryan

Picture of the largest one -

There are all suposed to be male

[​IMG]

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Not an expert, haven't raised meat birds- but Ideal's claim of 6lb in 6wk is in a statement of 'when broiler rations are fed, producers can expect...' Flock raiser is 20% -it is a 'generalist' food- something to feed a mixed flock, ok for a variety of birds (turkeys, the average chicken, geese ect). It is not the ideal broiler ration. People raising meaties seriously usually follow some strict guidelines- and will be changing feeds every few weeks. The withholding of feed (which produces will sometimes do is to decrease growth rate, to try to prevent hock breakdown/heat failure ect). So likely you have a combination of inappropriate food and too much fasting, and they are not achieving optimal growth rate. They will likely still reach that weight, but just take longer to get there on flock raiser only.

3. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    "It is also designed to meet the more demanding needs of broiler or meat-type chicks, raising them successfully from hatch to either market or maturity. Purina Mills[​IMG] Flock Raiser[​IMG] is a 20% protein"

From the purina site... This is the only feed for broilers around here unless i want to go with blue seal medicated broiler feed for $18 a bag, when i can get flock rasier for $10

4. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    check the chick closely. We have 24 from McMurray and all but one are getting huge, and then there is this tiny little thing. My son looked at it the other day and discovered its beak is inside out and that it cannot eat properly.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    We feed our Cornish X turkey feed. As in turkey starter, turkey grower, and maybe turkey finisher. I don't remember what the protein levels are, but it is high. Even higher than broiler rations. Ours dress out at least 11 1/2 to 13 pounds at 10 to 12 weeks. Some are bigger than 13 pounds at that age. We feed 12 hours on and 12 hours off starting at about a week. It sounds like yours need a higher powered feed.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At 5 weeks old, mine were 4lbs. I raised mine with 24hr lighting, and 24% grower feed, up until 6 weeks old, where they were switched to just day light hours for eating. I paid about $26 per 50lb bag of the stuff. Dressed them out at 8lbs at 8 weeks.

If you raised them in a commercial setting, with high protein feed available 24/7, in a temperature and humidity controlled room you could probably get the 6 lbs in 6 weeks. In your backyard, eating only 20% flock raiser for 12 hours a day, getting a bit cold here and there while enjoying life, they will be growing significantly slower. However, they will have a better life so it's an offset.

7. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Thanks for all the responses.

There in the brooder so its warm and they have light 27/7

Our local agway has game starter crumbles that are 26% protein 3% fat and 4% fiber.

Would switching them over to 26% game starter have a impact for the last 3 weeks?

And should i leave the food there 27/7 or cont resticting the feed?

There due to be butcherd on the 22, will they be at least 6 lbs by then if i switch them over?

Thanks again

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I'd switch 'em. Can't hurt. With the right feed they can put on an amazing amount of growth in a short period of time. Has to be seen to be believed. I would continue the 12 hour on 12 off feed restriction, though.

9. mypicklebird

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    *IF* your problem is not enough protein, or not enough food, and not something else like ill birds from coccidia or lice/mites ect- you should do the math- and see what is cheaper. Feeding the 10$ food for longer, or the 18$ food for a shorter grow out time. Maybe next year, run two batches, side by side and see. The higher cost may be related directly to the protein content & added amprolium. I am not familiar with the brand though.

Quote:

10. mypicklebird

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by