Getting more chicks :D

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LillianMae, Mar 8, 2014.

1. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    So, it's that time of the year again and I'm considering getting eight or ten more chickens. I have six right now. I'm thinking about getting four bantams, two polands, two wyandottes, and two of some other breed. Anybody have any ideas? Also, I want these chicks this year to be more tame, any ideas about how to do that? Thank you. :)

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    The only way we have gotten little pullets to be more tame is to pick them up and hold and "pet" them while we watch TV, with a paper towel on our lap, you know, sort of keeping one hand over them so they feel safe like they are under their mother. But we can usually only do that for one or two chicks each spring because it takes a lot of time, at least for us. Even then, they still can be a little difficult to catch when they're older. We just pick one that we can tell apart from the others and know we will be able to identify even when their feathers come in. Just picking them up once or twice a day for a couple minutes isn't enough time in my experience. Just giving them food treats only makes them good at begging, but not cuddly. Surely someone else has better advice than I.

1 person likes this.
  3. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Well, I just got some bantams today and they have been totalllllllly sweet and not hand shy at all so I think I'm pretty good so far :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by