Getting more chicks! Suggestions/advice needed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JeninMN, Jan 23, 2009.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    HI everyone!

We currently have 27 Buff Orps...they will be 1 year old on 4/6/09.

We would like to get a different breed this time that would lay a different colored egg than the Buff Orps do?

Any suggestions as to what types get along together best,etc?

Another thing...we have our brooder that they will do really well in until they hit about 4 to 5 weeks..then it gets crammed in there. At what age is it safe to put them in with the "older crowd"?!?!?
    Should we have some sort of transition area for them? We could build some kind of hutch or something out in the shop..the main thing is that the brooder we have will keep them inside until they are at the most 5 weeks old. After that they are too tall for the inside of it.

We'd like to get another batch of chicks to arrive the first week of March and by the time they are 5 weeks old it may not be warm enough yet for them to go out and then are they safe at that age to go out with our 1 year olds??

Thanks everyone!!!

Jen in MN

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I think most people will run and say "Easter Eggers"... it'll be interesting to watch this thread.
    [​IMG]

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    The baby chicks should not be put in with the adults until they are fairly similar in size. Otherwise, they won't be big enough to defend themselves when the pecking order is being established. Also, depending on where you live, the baby chicks should not be put outside until they are "fully feathered", which is 8-10wks. In re to breeds that lay different colors, of course, congdon476 was right, I like the EE's a lot because their eggs are soooo pretty and they are a docile chicken. I really like my Cuckoo Marans too since they lay a really dark brown egg compared to my Buff Orps. [​IMG]

4. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    How do the EE's do in MN winter?? We have done really really well this year with our Buff Orps...but we did have -40 actual temps here last week...are the EE's a pretty hardy breed????

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    From what I know, the EE's are a hardy breed like the Orps. I like the EE's for more than just their egg color though, they are a nice and gentle breed and can come in several colors. We have one that is white with brown scattered in, 2 that are greyish blue & brown and one that is several different shades of brown. I'm ordering more EE's this spring since I like them so much. [​IMG]

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    OEGB!!! But then again I always say that...I think I might have an addiction problem...that or they have taken over what little mind I have...[​IMG]

7. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    i live in WI and i have Ameraucanas, the parent stock of EEs, and they do very well especially because of the peacomb you dont have to worry about frostbite like you have to with some of the large single comb birds. mine lay blue green eggs and they are at the top of the pecking order but they are still very nice birds and haven't attacked any other birds that are the same size as they are.

and about the temp, as long as you have a draft free coop for them pretty much any bird can survive those temps because they will huddle up to one another. i would stay away from mediterranian(sp?) breeds like the leghorn because they are pretty small and more suited for a warmer climate but i have one leghorn cross and shes the first out in the snow so...you never know

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  8. motherbear

motherbear Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    CA Gold Country
    I have to agree with the EE's and Marans. I love the variety in egg colors [​IMG]. Don't have an opinion on cold weather - we rarely get below 30 here [​IMG] They do just fine in heat though!!

9. Robdoc

Robdoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    Scandia
    I live in Minnesota and have a trio of EEs (also a trio of Buff Os). Both seem completely and equally at ease in the weather and both have been super layers this winter so far. The EEs, like others have said, are sweet and curious and I think they are beautiful to look at, as well. In Oct, we got a couple of Cuckoo Marans and a couple of Welsummers for the variety of egg color, but they aren't laying yet, so I can't speak to their production. Let us know what you choose!

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get 10 EEs
    Get 10 Marans
    Get 10 White Leghorns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by