Getting more ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AshleyNicole06, Nov 21, 2017.

1. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    i have 3 drakes and am planning on getting more ducklings in the spring. (A few females and more drakes) Will the older ones accept the new ones or hurt them? Not like them?
    I read somewhere they might not take a liking to them.
    Thanks

2. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    If you plan on keeping those drakes i wouldn't get any hens at all. All of your hens with too many drakes will get over-bred with and your drakes will eventually wear them down to the point were they'll starting having health problems. I have only two drakes with 13 hens and plan on getting a couple more Hens for the drakes. No more drakes. And for 3 drakes i would suggest buying JUST hens and 15 of em'.

ViolinPlayer123 and DuckMom2017 like this.
  3. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    18? Holy moly!! Lol I would have never known that. Does it have to be 18?? :)
    How do you tell if they r boys or girls when they are real young?

4. DuckMom2017

DuckMom2017 Songster

Aug 24, 2017
    NC
    How do you tell if they r boys or girls when they are real young?

Typically you can't tell until they're older unless you know someone with experience sexing them. I have 1 drake and 3 girls and it's not enough and I'm about to create a divider to give my girls a break. Trust me, you don't want this problem. Some places you can buy them already sexed, or I suggest checking out local rescues. Often, people get ducks and find out they're not up to the workload, and dump them or surrender them. Most states have a rescue of some sorts and you could get an older duck that you know is a guy![/QUOTE]

MillersFarm likes this.
  5. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Meant to say 15. You can buy sexed ducklings online like I did, And you can also tell by their voices once they get big enough. Drakes will have a more quiet raspy almost like a whisper kind of voice and the hens will have louder more Quack! like sound to it. I'd look into https://www.meyerhatchery.com/ for buying sexed ducklings for reasonable prices

AshleyNicole06 likes this.
  6. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    Thank you for your help!

7. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    [/QUOTE]
    Okay thank you!!

DuckMom2017 and MillersFarm like this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Your 3 Drakes get along only because their are no Hens..Once you add in females you will see issues...Drakes begin fighting and they usually all want the same Hen..Set up another Duck enclosure..One for Drakes and one for Hens...You can pick one Drake and keep him with the Hens..

9. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    Will the other 2 drakes get depressed if they’re missing their friend? They love each other. :) (sorry first time duck Mom) haha

10. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    If you aren't interested in eggs or breeding I would recommend you only keep drakes. That way you don't need to worry about fighting over hens or hen safety. You will still need to put together a plan of integrating new birds. There are always extra drakes out there that people are looking to get rid of.

If you are thinking of breeding you will need to think about what you will do with extra drakes. Because more will hatch and you can't keep them all.

AshleyNicole06 likes this.
  11. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: