1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting more from your R-Com incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChooksChick, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I just thought I'd post a little blurb about how I get 50 eggs into my R-Com 20 and even have staggered hatches. The fan in the unit is very powerful, but because the humidity is precise and fully self-contained, it's not a problem usually. I have noticed that if one tries to perform a staggered hatch, raising the humidity will corrupt the eggs that are mid-incubation. If one doesn't raise humidity, then the eggs that are hatching will have issues with being stuck in the shell due to the intense air movement.

What I have done to expand the capacity is to take a 7" piece of 1" x 1" trim on the outer edges of the expandable tray that has removable dividers for the base, and then to place the tray with the 20 ovals atop it and put a second level of eggs on it. Those can be used to place 2 eggs in each oval side-by-side except the outermost holes, which might prevent the lid from closing if you double-up.

When hatching, during a staggered hatch, I have found that the top area can be used well if paper towels fully cover the entire oval tray and extend out over the top of the incubator, completely separating the area from the ventilation system. The air can still make it through, but without the 'wind' drying out the hatching babies. The humidity doesn't need to be cranked in this case, thus the eggs in the bottom can continue incubating at the appropriate humidity. The turner can also remain on, as the top eggs aren't on the turning floor.

Just my $.02 and experience. Hope it helps some of you hatch-a-holics expand the capacity of your fabulous R-Coms!! Just think, if you did this with an R-Com 50, you could probably reach 150 or more eggs in a cycle!

2. lagunitas

lagunitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2011
    The man of the house is salivating over your post and not just cuz you're so cute. [​IMG]

Thanks for posting.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Isn't it funny how the idea of hatching 50 instead of 20 in one of these is A BIG DEAL!? I walked around feeling like I'd gotten a holiday bonus paycheck after successfully trying it!! :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by