Getting muscovies and have questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ameraucanacrazy, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    I am getting 15 muscovies and they are adults and was wondering will they fly off it I let them free range in the day and will the hawks eat them?

Thanks

2. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    muscovies are big birds. i doubt a hawk will get them. they will probably want to fly, i would suggest clipping one wing so you don't lose any of your pretty duckies [​IMG] enjoy. muscovies are adorable.

3. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    How do I clip their wings

4. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
  5. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    I've had Muscovy(anywhere from 2 to 9, currently 4). I've never clipped a wing and none have ever flown off. When I get them, I pen them up for a week before I let them freerange. After that they seem to know where home is and don't go very far. They are always in sight of the house.

6. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    everyone's birds are different. better to be safe than sorry. idk if you've seen plumtuckered's post about her little scovy who left, but i would clip wings to be safe [​IMG]

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The hawks will probably not eat them, most of my female Muscovies are the same size as the Hawks around here. I have had a Hawk sit on their coop and watch the ducks walk around though, like she was considering trying it and then realized how dumb of an idea it was lol.

Make sure you keep them penned up for a little bit after you bring them home, they need to get acclimated & learn where home is and where they need to go to bed at night. Clipping their wings is really up to you but you should consider your neighbors & how close you are to roads. I don't clip mine but we're out here all by ourselves so I don't have to worry about them getting into anyones yard or flying away.

How many drakes & hens are you getting in your group?

8. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Oh yea, I forgot about the hawks.
    I don't worry too much about the hawks around here. I did lose a very small duck to a hawk but my Muscovy are as big if not bigger than the hawks. A hawk did attack one of my females but quickly gave up and flew away as the female Muscovy simply returned, unharmed to her grazing with the other ducks. We also have a bunch of crows around and the tend to chase the hawks away.
    I do worry about several eagles that nest close by but, so far, they don't seem to have any interest in my ducks. I figure if the were going to go after my ducks, they would have done it in the couple of years I've had the ducks here.
    I do take extra precautions with ducklings but rat snakes are my problem when they are young. Easily remedied with a little rat wire.

9. canadianchick

canadianchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Definitely clip one of there wings especially the hens , the drakes may be too heavy to fly but why take the chance . I once "lost" a whole flock (25) muscovies a few years back. When the neighbours with the outdoor pool came back from their winter holiday it turned out they had been there the whole time .... almost a month. It was not pretty.

10. ameraucanacrazy

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    Okay I will pen them up for a week and then clip their wing thanks so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by