Getting Muscovies tonight!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 6, 2009.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am soooo pumped! DH and I will be going down tonight to pick some young adults up. The hens should be laying later this spring/summer. The lady we are getting them from has recently clipped wings plus they free range but are used to sleeping in the chicken house w/the chickens in the night. [​IMG]
    Pictures coming this weekend!

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Yay another muscovy owner. THey are the silkies of the duck world ...once they have you in your grip.

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    They will steal your heart. I have Pekin, Scovies, Calls, Cayaga, and a Swede. My Scovies are by far my fave. They are quite, fly around the barnyard (I know I could clip their wings but they haven't seemed interested in leaving the farm), and my drake, "Yankee" is the only duck I have I can walk right up to and pick up without a chase.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

drake, "Yankee" is the only duck I have I can walk right up to and pick up without a chase.

Wow, That's good to hear. A really aggressive drake has been my greatest concern. I figured if you could learn to deal w/an aggressive roo then I could figure how to deal w/muscovy drake. [​IMG] I would rather have a "nice" drake though. [​IMG]
    I'm figuiring since I didn't raise these Scovies then they probably won't be too friendly to me but that's O.K. I still want them. [​IMG]
    Only a few more hours then we are off to pick them up! Oh, I can hardly wait!​

5. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Congratulations![​IMG] I'm soooo jealous! I'm looking forward to getting some 'scovies myself this spring. I can't wait![​IMG]

6. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    I can't believe that scovies are for sale. In Miami, they are actually pests.

I saw that a new batch was just hatched a couple of days ago.
    Very cute when the mother is followed by 15+ little fluff balls.

I live on a canal and all my neighbors feed them so there are anytime betwwen 10 or so around.

Have fun with them.

tgp

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures!

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:I agree, I grew up in Miami surrounded by feral muscovies, they're like weeds with wings. I never knew they had such a big fan base elsewhere, it's like hearing folks rave about getting kudzu to grow in their gardens. Muscovies cause problems in some communities where a portion of the folks love them and overfeed them to the despair of the other residents who resent the litter, the leftover food, and the duck poop. Too much of anything is rarely a good idea.

I still prefer other domestic duck breeds for my yard, and other wild ducks in their natural habitats. Now that I know that Muscovies are supposed to be really delicious, I may have to try one. But first I'd have to get past my aversion to them, it would feel like eating a cooked rat or cockroach.

I apologize if I've offended any Muscovy lovers here, I'm really happy for all of you who like them and want them and have them. And know that you can get them by the crate-full here in South Florida, free for the taking!

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Wow, That's good to hear. A really aggressive drake has been my greatest concern. I figured if you could learn to deal w/an aggressive roo then I could figure how to deal w/muscovy drake. [​IMG] I would rather have a "nice" drake though. [​IMG]
    I'm figuiring since I didn't raise these Scovies then they probably won't be too friendly to me but that's O.K. I still want them. [​IMG]
    Only a few more hours then we are off to pick them up! Oh, I can hardly wait!

Oh mine will come to pick up their noodle treats

10. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    I didn't mean to offend anyone, it's shocking that we are knee deep in them reproducing wild.
    So if anyone wants any just let me know.

tgp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by