Getting my babys (White Crested and Saxony) Ducks tomorrow

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kelciesducks, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Kelciesducks

Kelciesducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    I can't wait!!!! I'm soooooooo excited!!!! I'm finally getting my baby Saxony Ducks tomorrow and after searching everywhere I finally found a White Crested baby as well. I can't wait till Thursday evening to get them all!!! And I'm also getting 3 Broody chicken Hens as well at the same time to increase my egg laying.

2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    congrats on the new aditions to the family :)
    P.S. How will broody chickens increase your egg laying? If they are broody, they will be setting on eggs for at least 21 days, and durring that time they won't be laying you any eggs...

Oh, I almost forgot. When you bring everyone home tomorrow... I need PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES :)

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What color did you paint the room? No, wait. Wrong kind of babies. . . .

[​IMG]

What kind of brooder do you have? Did you get waterfowl starter crumbles or chick crumbles?

ditto on the photo request!

4. Kelciesducks

Jan 17, 2012

LOL Good point on the chickens. I'm getting a couple Rhode Island Reds and a barred Rock today and the guy that has them said some of them have gone broody already. I've got a couple other breeds right now (Aracauna & a brown crested) that are laying but won't sit on them. I'm hoping for some babies to hatch out then after one batch hatches out I'd like to start collecting eggs. We'll see I'm new at the chicken thing. Just kind of going with the flow. Right now it's mainly a learning experience for me and the kids. I had chickens when I was really little but it's been many years.

5. Kelciesducks

Jan 17, 2012

LOL I'll be putting them inside for awhile...nothing fancy I'm going to use a rabbit cage with a heat lamp. Picking up the starter food for them today at lunchtime. I'll post pics after I get them. Although I am bummed because I won't be getting my white crested duck today as I had planned....the lady's sister gave it away to someone else by mistake so I'll be getting it in a couple weeks instead :(

6. Kelciesducks

Jan 17, 2012
    Here's the 5 baby Saxony Ducks I just got last night. They are 10 days old (well 11 days today). One of them is already a loud mouth lol

[​IMG]

Here's one of the Rhode Island Red Pullets I got last night...this one was hatched in January and has already gone broody. She is already trying to protect the baby ducklings we just got. LOL

[​IMG]

7. randylove1951

randylove1951 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    where did you get your ducks? I live in Masachusetts

8. Kelciesducks

Jan 17, 2012
    I got them from a local hatchery here in Minnesota. He doesn't have a website or anything though and I don't believe he ships....I believe he gets them from his friend that breeds ducks in Iowa somewhere.

9. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Thanks for the pictures [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by