Getting my Calls ready for show-advice?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by easttxchick, Nov 12, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'll be showing my White, Gray, Butterscotch and Chocolate Calls next weekend.
    This will be my first show so can anyone give me some tips for getting them ready?
    Show sheen, olive oil...? Help!!
    Thanks, all!

2. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    I give them fresh water to bath in. I have a eight gallon tube in thier above the ground pen they get in there and wash up then a hour latter when they are dry I stick them in the shipping coop. At the show I have a two gallon bath pan and they jump in and out of it and then I pull it out and they are ready to be judged. My Gray Call Drake did good he was Champion Waterfowl and bantam at a show and Res Champion of the show. Sure beats washing white chickens. No SPRAY. bob

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    You can use a tootbrush to clean their legs- and carefully pick/ flick off any dead skin cells from their legs to give them a fresher appearance. Some people out here use vasoline on the beak, legs and feet to give them a bit of shine - being careful not to get in on any feathers. Others use medicated chest rub for the job. I always wash mine the night before and leave them on a fresh clean bed or transport cage for the night. I always take a wet face washer and give them a once over just before they go into the cage- making sure there is no green stains around the vent from overnight- and put the vasoline on their legs then.

Good luck. I love the atmosphere at a poultry show- Apart form the competition is always a great way of connecting with other like minded people- and a great chance to talk to other breeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by