Getting my chicks to eat the Chick Starter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spateslak, Mar 14, 2013.

1. spateslak

spateslak Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Hi guys! So this is my first hatch and the little guys hatched yesterday at 2 PM and I put them in their brooder with 2 waterers and 2 feeders and they haven't touched it! Well at least every time I see them they aren't interested and are more interested in the pine shavings and pecking those then the food. I put each one at the feeder and used my finger to peck at it and some of them tried to out but most go back to peck at the shavings and I put their little beaks in the water and they just run away! I'm worried they won't eat or get dehydrated but I don't know what to do? Is it possible that they are drinking/eating just when I'm not watching or should I move them to a tub without pine shavings until they get used to the food? Thanks so much !

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Do you feel food in their crops?

3. spateslak

Mar 13, 2013
    I haven't tried that yet! How can I do that?

4. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    This is an adult chicken in the pic but the anatomy is the same on a baby.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/10845/chicken-anatomy

The crop is in the front chest area slightly to the right. Gently press and feel around that area and you should feel a little feed under the skin. The crop is just a balloon like organ that stores food before it enters the gizzard.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    They have nutritional reserve from yolk absorption, so I wouldn't panic just yet. I bet they'll be chowing down by tomorrow. You could try a little sugar in the water to peak their interest (or electrolytes if you have it) but again, they'll probably be at it when they get hungry. Keep pecking with your finger.

6. spateslak

Mar 13, 2013
    You guys were right! This morning when I checked on them they were all eating and drinking and pecking at the Grogel and lively as ever! Thanks so much for the help!

7. turkey lover

turkey lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    does one ppress the spare food out of this crop organ the chick have ,because food is stuck there or what is the purpose

8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    When birds eat their food goes into a muscle called the gizzard, it is like how people chew with their mouths, chickens swallow everything whole and it gets mashed up in the gizzard Once the chicks are outside they will pick up small rocks that will also get stuck in the gizzard and help to break up whole foods like grass and bugs and such. I give my chicks chick grit just in case they eat something other than their chick starter. They don't need grit to mash the chick starter, the gizzard can handle that on it's own, but when they are eating more than chicken food they need the grit to digest the things they eat. The crop is like the funnel to the gizzard..they swallow the food and it fills the crop and then little bit by little bit gets passed into the gizzard and ground and then goes to the stomach. So no, do not try to remove the food from the crop, it is all part of the process.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  9. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    x2 The food is supposed to gather there and you do not want to press it out. It is just a way to check to see if they have been eating if you are concerned they are not. Chichen will often have a full crop that is visibly extended as they graze all day. This is normal.

10. turkey lover

turkey lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    oh ok thank you very much some times i feel like my questions are dumb,but its like my momma use to say the dumb question is the one not asked

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by