Getting my conditional use permit

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by JRBIRDMAN, May 12, 2011.

1. JRBIRDMAN

JRBIRDMAN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Tonight I go before the planning commision to get my conditional use permit. I am nervous. I believe I have met all requirements, including number of chicks, distance from neighbors and location of coop in my yard. I hope all gose well otherwise I have a really nice coop that cost me more than my shed to build

2. mountanaman

mountanaman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    Good luck! What made you go for a CUP instead of a variance?

3. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    The "planning commission" has nothing better to do than worry about a few chickens? The rules of some places amaze me. My neighbor living directly across the highway (simple two-lane) can not raise chickens because it is in a different county and township that does not allow it. Yet, in his township a person is raising pigs and many have horses! There is even an ancient law that says it is illegal to carry a chicken across the border from Wisconsin into Minnesota and vice-versa! It has never been removed from the books. I wonder what Murray thinks of that one!

4. KaneMoa

KaneMoa Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Isn't it ridiculous. We live in the county and still have too many local restrictions to keep our Roosters here. We have to rent a pasture that's closer to town ( but zoned ag) to keep them. Sux.

5. Mama_Chicken

Mama_Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Statenville, Ga
    I'm curious as to how it went!! I hope well!!!! [​IMG]

6. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Quote:There are daft laws about all sorts of things. For example its (in the UK) illegal to eat mince pies on christmas day (Cromwell banned christmas) its also illegal to die in the houses of parliment (how do you stop that one) I don't understand why keeping chickens should even come on the radar. For a supposidly "land of the free" you have an aweful lot of bureaucracy laws for the sake of it laws.

7. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Quote:There are daft laws about all sorts of things. For example its (in the UK) illegal to eat mince pies on christmas day (Cromwell banned christmas) its also illegal to die in the houses of parliment (how do you stop that one) I don't understand why keeping chickens should even come on the radar. For a supposidly "land of the free" you have an aweful lot of bureaucracy laws for the sake of it laws.

Paula, you aren't kidding. I live in rural farmland, but because I have less than 5 acres, I have no "right to farm"... the right to farm act was supposed to protect our right to farm on our own land, but the feds allowed the states to alter it to suit them as long as they still allow a "right to farm". So, where I live that has been defined as >5 acres and bringing in at least $2500 from farm products each year or <5 acres and bringing in $50000 from farm products each year. How is a smaller farm supposed to bring in more money? That is how they have effectively removed my "right to farm". Some freedoms.

8. JRBIRDMAN

JRBIRDMAN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Permit was issued, I have been busy working on the coop getting it finished. I am actually on the planning commission so i had to step aside for the vote to avoid any appearance of inpropriety. I was on the city council when the code was written and the only way i could get enough votes to get it to pass was to make it a conditional use. I plan on running in the fall and I woudl like to remove th conditional use if I am elected

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by