Getting my coop set up, would love a little guidance...

CluckinFun

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
After going back and forth on coops I finally ended up getting this one. I'll be keeping three chickens, but currently have four chicks (and a friend will take whichever inevitably end up being roosters). I am curious about when I can put the chicks in the coop, though. All of my chicks were hatched on 4/5, which makes them a little over 2 weeks old. I live in San Diego, CA -- which means overnight lows at this point are at about 52 at its worst. If I were to keep a heat lamp on outside would they be okay? Currently they are in a rubbermaid brooder, but they look so cramped (even though they do have enough space for the time being).

Also, after I get the coop set up I intend to use pine shavings inside the coop/nesting boxes. I've read multiple recommendations on the bedding for the run itself, though. Does anybody have a recommendation on what may be most recommended for the run?

Hang a 100 watt flood light in the coop and put the birds in. Lowes sells a red flood light that throws out good heat.

Hang it low enough so they get warm when needed.

Thanks for the reply. I've got a 150W heat lamp light that I got at Wal-Mart, would that suffice for the next few weeks? If they'd be okay this week with that arrangement, at what point would it be okay to stop using the light?

Back
Top Bottom