getting my coturnix to lay!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bantamboy93, Jul 4, 2011.

1. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    I just don't understand. My coturnix aren't lacking for feed, water, or sand to play in... Yeah, i know the sand isn't necessary. But i like to let them have something to play in. I've got 3 cages of birds. Tuxedo's, browns, and tibetans. i get 1 or 2 eggs a day out of my tibetans. But none from my other cages. And before yall say they're too young. I've gotten maybe one or 2 eggs out of the other 2 cages in all the time that i've had them. And (2) of the browns are from a local hatchery. 8 months old. They both laid an egg the first day and ever since, none. What's going on? Is it the lighting? I have them in a metal shed. not an actual 'building' It's just a metal frame. with a roof and 2 sides... but no back or front.. It's the best place I can put them because it keeps them out of the hot sun and protects them from wind and rain. So. How do I get my birds to lay? I'm feeding them the Gambird finisher/layer.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    How long have you had them? Do you have light in the shed at all? Oyster shell? They should lay but they may be stressed out. You can put vit. c in the water if it's the heat that's the issue.

3. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    it gets natural light. it's not closed in. it's not like it's dark in there. except at night...which is pretty self explanatory. i've had them for a few weeks

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Unless They're Molting All I Could Say Is Mine Do Best On Starter Life-long. If Its Hot During The Day You Can Add Some Vitamin C To Their Water Every 2 Or 3 Days... It Helps Bolster Egg Production Rates And Assists Them In Dealing With Heat Stress. The Only Other Thing That Comes To Mind Would Be That They Are In Fact Laying And Someone Is Gobbling Them Up Before You Come Along And Collect Them (egg Eater)

You Can Egg Eater Test Them By Simply Placing A Couple Of Eggs In Their Pens And Going To Work... If When You Get Home There Are No Eggs In There Then You Have A Serious Problem

5. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    i've had chickens do that before. i ended up getting rid of them... i check them several times a day... i'm at home because i start my freshman year of college this fall( out of school for summer) and so i check them a lot. how do i give them vitamin c? i mean obviously i can't feed them orange juice.... or can i? can i let them peck on an orange? lol.. that sounds absurd..... It could possibly be the heat. Because they're in good feathering, not molting. I live in the deep south of MS. almost to the coast... Today it's 93 degrees, feels like 95..... and that's not even as high as it has been. so....

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    They are 8 months old so starter won't help really. For the vitamin C, take some 500 mg or 1000 mg tablets, mash em up and put them in the water. A little pinch in the water will do.

7. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    where do i get that at?

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Vitamin C can be purchased at the grocery store.

9. bantamboy93

Jun 22, 2011
    ok thanks!

10. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:i do have a question on this, does it have to be PURE vit C or can it be like the "EmergenC" packages that are already powder

and before you ask, i mean the ones that doesn't add energy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by