1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

getting my first bantams in 1 hour have quick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchickmomof48, May 23, 2008.

1. newchickmomof48

newchickmomof48 New Egg

May 19, 2008
    Plymouth Ma
    Hi everyone, I am getting my first flock of bantams today in an hour and I am really excited. : Just want to make sure my booder is alright. The chicks are a week old at this point. I put my shavings in the bottom, have the waterer filled, i filled up the chicken feeder with medicated chick feed, have the lamp set up and put a two by four accross with two sticks from the backyard for perching? Is this set and ready.

Also when can you start holding them??

Thanks for your input. We will be building their coop this weekend as a family project so I know I will have lots of quesiton!!!!

2. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    It sounds like you got everything you need, or at least everything that I have.

I had 2 hens hatching eggs and started pecking a couple of the chicks. I put them in the brooder and am putting antibiotic ointment on their wounds, so I have to hold them. I just make sure my hands are clean and put them back when I am done.

Actually, they are pretty hard to hold because they are so squirmy, so if you do hold them, keep them close to the floor.

Have fun with your new chicks!! [​IMG]

3. newchickmomof48

newchickmomof48 New Egg

May 19, 2008
    Plymouth Ma
    Thank you so much for your response. We are all getting excited to meet them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by