1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting my first rooster Saturday Dec 20

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DeeTee, Dec 18, 2008.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Well... I always smile to myself when I read posts about how people only wanted a few chickens and ended up with lots, or how their plans have changed once they get started.

I NEVER wanted a rooster, but a friend of a friend has a 6 month old Columbian Plymouth Rock, and I went to see him on Saturday. And of course I loved him right away. He spurred when I first went in -- just doing his job after all -- but I picked him up and tucked him under my arm, and he settled down right away.

He will be a great asset to the girls I think when they free range again in the spring, and I imagine I will end up hatching some chicks next year!

Wish me luck

2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    grats. i remember my first rooster lol. that jerk was supposed to be a hen, but i'm glad for sure it turned out the way it did. he's a real joy.

3. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I'm in love with a rooster too. I hatched my first batch of eggs in November and out of seven hatched, five were roos. I really didn't want a rooster at all, but then this little guy decided he likes his chest rubbed. Now, whenever I go out there, he runs up like he's going to attack but stops and thrusts his chest out to be rubbed. My sweetie pie!

4. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    You can't beat a good roo. They are lovley to look at fun to watch and will take care of the girls when your not around. The bad ones make good chicken and rice. Just kidding I rehome the ones I don't keep.

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    [​IMG]
    I like the chicken and rice line!

6. DeeTee

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Quote:LOL -- I was thinking of pot pie rather han rice... [​IMG]

I think he will be good for the girls. He is living with only four hens right now, and at my place he will have 8, so he should like that.

I've named him Hank -- after Hank Williams Sr., Hank Snow, and for you fellow Canucks -- after Hank Yarbo on Corner Gas!

7. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Happy Rooster Day! tomorrow.

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:well at least you KNOW what ya getting,,, KNOWING a roo's job,, and dealing with it,,,,,,,is a way to tell a GREAT owner !!
    on behalf of the LUCKY roo,, thanks for knowing what he was doing,, and knowing how to deal with it [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. DeeTee

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Quote:Thanks! I have run into two people lately who got a bunch of different animals -- donkeys, chickens goats... got them basically all at once, then start calling all their friends to find out how to look after them. ARGH!!!

I may be a little troo far to the other extreme -- my wife might sya so! [​IMG] -- but at least I have SOME idea of what my animals are about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by