Getting my hens to lay in the nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Firework, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    How do I get my hens to lay there eggs in the nest boxes? I do have a few nest boxes in there coop, but they lay them in a nest they made on the ground.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    What do I do?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Try putting golf balls or plastic easter eggs (filled with something like sand to give them weight and then glued shut) in the nests. You can also find wooden or ceramic eggs at the craft stores.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My hens prefer a little bitty cubby hole on the ground that I built a triangle over. All 10 of them lay in that same place even though I have numerous boxes

4. Firework

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Quote:What will that do?

5. Firework

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Try putting golf balls or plastic easter eggs (filled with something like sand to give them weight and then glued shut) in the nests. You can also find wooden or ceramic eggs at the craft stores.

Do the fake eggs need to be the same color as the eggs the hens lay?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nope, they don't have to be the same color. As long as they remotely resemble an egg (as in the case of the golf balls). It sends a message to the hen that, hey! somebody else laid here, this must be a good spot!
    It lets them know that nest boxes are desirable places for laying their eggs.

7. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    I have fake eggs in my nesting boxes and most of them lay in there but there are still a few that are stuborn and lay on the floor. The ones that dont lay in the nest boxes seem to lay in the same spot everyday though so it doesnt really bother me

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I used a plastic easter egg with play doh inside it (it came that way), taped shut.. I put it in the nest box, but SOMEONE kept dragging it down into the corner, and then they'd all lay there. I say just be happy you're getting eggs at all! A little egg hunt is good for you!

9. Firework

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    chickensducks&agoose :

I used a plastic easter egg with play doh inside it (it came that way), taped shut.. I put it in the nest box, but SOMEONE kept dragging it down into the corner, and then they'd all lay there. I say just be happy you're getting eggs at all! A little egg hunt is good for you!

Yes, I am happy I am getting eggs. The only reason that I want them to lay in the box is so they don't get stepped on or if they are on the ground and I don't see them for a few days, and they go bad I'll have to get rid of them. [​IMG]
    But, I'll try to trick the birds into laying there eggs in the boxes. I think there was an Easter egg in the toy box and a few old golf balls in the garage...........???????
    Ahhhh, has anyone seen my golf balls????[​IMG]

10. MaryLouise

MaryLouise New Egg

Nov 4, 2008
    Woodland, WA
    One of my hens laid our first egg on Saturday in the corner of the coop. I had my nest boxes 18" off the ground as suggested by the "Stories Guide...". When I posted Saturday Steve, digitS', suggested trying to stop that quickly before bad habits developed, like egg eating. Sunday I had 2 more little eggs in the same corner. Sunday afternoon we went ahead and lowered the nest boxes to the floor as suggested by other books and articles. I received my wooden eggs today in the mail and replaced the golf balls. Low and behold this afternoon I have another egg and it was in a nest box! Yeah![​IMG] I'm pretty sure it was a different hen but I hope this is a good sign. 4 eggs in three days from 7 - 19 week old hens! I can hardly believe it.

Hope this helps a little. Advice on this board is great!
    Mary Louise
    2 Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Silver-laced Wyandottes, and 1 Golden-laced Wyandotte

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by