1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Getting my meaties today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mstricer, Jul 12, 2010.

1. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I will be getting my CX's from Meyers hatchery today. I'm so excited to be raising my own chicken meat. I also will be getting Freedom Rangers from JM soon I hope the hatch date is the 15th. I want to compare the two birds.

2. Menmyrc

Menmyrc Songster

Mar 3, 2010
    Maricopa, AZ
    Congratulations! I'm anxious to hear your comparisons!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I'm in Ohio too, and I get all my chicks from Meyer. I think I'm going to do my first meaties next year. I'd love it if we could keep in touch and you would share your experience with me. I'd like to know which breed is the tastiest too!

Sharon

4. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Well I just got back from Meyers. I was talking to a gentleman there that also got meaties he said that he was told that Meyers had the best meaties he's ever bought. We will see. Okay they are all in the brooder and it is pandemonium the minute I put the food in there they started eating, I put the water in there and they all ran over and started drinking. This is my first adventure with frankenbirds so lets have a go at it. If you've never had these birds before, the first thing you think is "my what little butterballs they are. rounder and heavier. No one appears cold for now so I think I will leave light out. (I also came home with 2 wellie girls that were in an extra tub) can you say sucker, Good thing I didn't bring the turkeys home. LOL

5. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Another Ohioan.

Good for you. I got my son's 4H birds there.

6. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    I, too, had meaties from Meyer. I just had them processed today. I will say the roosters really fill out nicely. The hens do too, but of course, not as big. I had two roos that came out at 7-8 lbs after butcher. Average of 5-6 lbs.
    I've gotten all my chicks from Meyer this year. REally like them. Great customer service.

7. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I live right around the corner from them and it crazy when I first found them was buying all kinds of birds. Which are my layers and all lay well. I hope these meaties are as good as my taste buds are tasting them

8. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    Quote:We will be trying our meaties tomorrow or Thursday. Can't wait to see if it was all worth it [​IMG] Need to get some canned and frozen, too.

9. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    Glad to see other Buckeyes supporting an Ohio business! (I am no way affiliated with them, I just like seeing the dollars stay local)

I'd be interested in your breed comparison too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: