1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting my Ovascope for candling today, any tidbits for use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bsee4u, Feb 23, 2011.

1. bsee4u

bsee4u Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    On my 2nd set of eggs for hatching, my first batch I tried candling with DIY candling aids, I would have told you based on candling pictures I looked at that I only had 2 eggs out of 7 that progressed. Wouldn't you know it, all 7 hatched as healthy as can be. Hence I said so much for my expertise, I need better tools. In my defense most of the eggs were darker brown or blue, so they were hard to see through. The guy at Brinsea I talked to said the Ovascope was as good a candler device as there is available, anyone with experience with one that can get me jump started. By the way, this is day 4 of this hatch and the Ovascope should be at my door when I get home from work today.

2. Heluerto

Heluerto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    I have one - its brilliant - I love it! My only jump starting tip is, if you are using the ovascope, both it and the candler bit have a washer style disk, neither are needed when you are combining, just sit the egg on it, look down the tube and turn the wheel! Darker eggs/thicker shells may still be an issue, but it is like 100x better than my last candler! I was really exciting when I candelled mine on day 8 to see the embryo moving about!

Day 4 though, you will be limited what you'll be able to see, only a few veins maybe, nothing really obvious until about day 6 - and dont go candelling them too often! I'm sticking with Day 8 and day 17, just before lockdown!

Good luck and have fun - oh, and have a camera at the ready to take photos!

3. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my Ovascope. I have the cover for it, and it makes it very easy to candle eggs without having to have a dark room. Because it is battery operated, I can also take it out to the coop to check eggs under hens. My only suggestion for improvement would be that Brinsea provide a way to keep the cover securely attached to the base whenever used that way. I ended up using rubber bands.

4. Heluerto

Heluerto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    Quote:Thats very true - it would be better if they fastened together - so yep, thats another tip - make sure its where you want it to be when you are ready to candle, as the two parts make it difficult to move in a hurry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by