Getting my Quail to Lay

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CoopedChik, Jun 24, 2011.

1. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    My quail are in a nice big coop it's suppose to be 5 females and what I'm 95% is sure is a male. I say 95% because he trys to mate but the females don't seem to want anything to do with him. I was told he was a male and from what I can tell he is. Any way my 3 of my females have made nests they are almost 6 weeks old and 3 weeks then an older around who's about 5 months. But NO eggs!!! I have looked every morning I feed them and one hen even acts like she is sitting but nothings underneath her. Any idea what this could mean? Or what I should do?

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    What kind of quail?

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Your Still A Tad Early Yet... Nothing You Can Do But Wait

4. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    they are cortunix I was told they would be laying by now, I'm worried the 1 I think is a male isn't. Do they need a male to lay or will they lay on their own?

5. Suresh

Suresh New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    Hey,
    I am too having some problem with my grl(female coturnix)lay, She did layed nice amount of eggs but now she's just stopped, i really dont understand is she trying to gain her weight back and thn start laying again or has she had enough..[​IMG]

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Without knowing her feed , lighting and enviroment it's hard to say.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    In Most Cases 6 Wks Old Would Be The Earliest To Expect Eggs... In Many It May Take 12 Or More.

8. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    I too have the same problem. I have 5 coturnix quail(1male and 4 females) in a 14x12 foot coop. I just got them 2 weeks ago. They layed 2 eggs the day after i got them but haven't laid since. they are feed game bird feed and have a 100 watt light bulb on 24/7 on in a corner. what can I do?

9. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    When you moved them to your pen the change in environment caused them to stop laying. They should start up again really soon. You don't need a light, it's doing more harm than good. They get plenty of natural light this time of year.

10. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    Quote:You need the male if you are wanting to hatch the eggs.... I have them just to eat the eggs and I removed the roo five days ago due to injury, and they have not missed a beat on laying eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by