Getting Naked**pics**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lennyroo, Apr 10, 2008.

1. lennyroo

lennyroo New Egg

Apr 10, 2008
    Shame on you for thinking that. [​IMG]
    Hi everyone. I am new here and have seen how to get people to look.
    So here it is. I have never had Naked Neck chickens and was wondering what is the draw and benefits or disadvantages to having this type of chicken. every one that i have seen that had them never mentioned why. Could any of you fine people answer that for me please and provide some pictures if you could.

2. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I have naked necks I'm raising for a friend.
    she lives in CA where her temp range is 115-20 degrees.
    NN do very well in the heat and fine for the cold she has.
    here are some of my 2 week old Naked chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The chicks I have from Ideal seem to have very good personalities [​IMG] very curious.
    CS

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  3. lennyroo

lennyroo New Egg

Apr 10, 2008
    Thank you carousel. I never thought about putting branches in the coop for the young ones, it's a good idea.

4. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I picked up one naked neck about 3-4 years ago when I got chickens again just because she was something different. She was the tamest bird and the best layer out of that group of chickens. Unfortunately, I came home from work one day to find a hole torn in the coop and all the chickens dead....really bad since mine are strictly pets, not meat. When I decided to get chickens again last year, I ordered naked necks because of having such a good experience with my first one. Those 4 girls are not as tame as my first was, but they are excellent layers. I have bought 2 new naked neck chicks this year. In my experience, they have been the best layers of all the chickens I've owned, and they just look fun. They also seem to tolerate the heat well here in the deep South.

5. lennyroo

lennyroo New Egg

Apr 10, 2008
    Thank You for your reply Noel. The chickens I have now are mainly for eggs and these would have been more or less for ornament, but the extra laying capacity would be a bonus I did not know of. your input is appreciated.

6. lennyroo

lennyroo New Egg

Apr 10, 2008
    my guess is not many people have this breed of chicken here or is this a slow night?
    If this is a slow night what night would be best to check back? thanks for any help.

7. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I just got my very first NN's about a week ago - they seem alittle fligthy but I love how different they look - I found mine at Tractor supply in a bin overfilled chicks and the two NN's were the only ones in the mass of chicks - so I HAD to have them.
    I cant wait to watch them grow and start laying.

Julie

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have a Showgirl (NN x silkie) that I just love. She was hand rasied so she's very tame and sweet. She'd rather not be held, but at the same time, doesn't seem to mind it. Not to mention the fact that she attracts attention from non-chicken people. [​IMG]
    Welcome to the forum. That's a very cute bunch you have.

9. lennyroo

lennyroo New Egg

Apr 10, 2008
    I don't think I have ever seen a Showgirl, but she sounds like an interesting combination.
    Thank You CarriBrown for replying.

Crazy4Chicks I don't think our local farm supply carries Naked Necks but I will check on that next visit, ordering may be the only option available here as the store uasually has Rhode island Reds and Sex Links.

Thank You both for answering.

10. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I love Turkens. I have been raising them for awhile now. I try not to keep very many of them because if it was up to me I would have them all over the place! But the local market here doesn't favor toward NN's. So I only have 2 pullets and have something new this time around: Madagascar Games. They are the breed that naked necks orginate from. Maddies are oriental fowl and rather tall birds. And they seem to have even less feathering than NN's do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by