Getting nervous. Is this a sign the hatch time is coming?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vfem, Jun 24, 2010.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, I am not incubating but my 2 ducks have been sitting on 2 nests across our pond. I can't get to them, but I know they are there. 1 time a day at least 1 of the ducks comes over to eat when I feed the chickens. My male sits on our shore and just does nothing but look bored all day. For 3 days now, I have not seen either female. I am guessing they don't get off the nest at all when the time is close. OR the ducklings have hatched and are not ready to cross the pond? When do the mama's let the little one's in the water? I REALLY need to catch these ducklings as soon as they come over this way so the turtles don't get 'em.

I'm sure some of you would know. This is the first time my ducks have ever been broody, and tried to hatch. And both my ducks are doing it at the same time!

Nervous ducky mama, signing out! [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are probably hatching, the mamas 'should' take the babies in the water almost immediately, but they probably won't keep them in the water for long.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well I am guessing my drake would probably out and about over on that side if the babies were hatched by now? I hope!

I just really want to be prepared to catch what I can. [​IMG]

4. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    The duck will stay on the nest while the eggs are hatching - usually takes about 24 hours for all to hatch. The next day mine will leave the nest and take the babies to water. Mine always go back to the nest at night for the first several days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by