Getting new birds familiar with new owner

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by secuono, Sep 17, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They don't really like me, so I wanted to know how I can get them more used to me and not hide every time I come in.
    What should I do to get them to come to me? Or at least, not fly away as soon as they spot me. Any ideas at all?

Also, on another note, can eggs that have been left with a hen for about 4 days, still be edible? I have no idea if they are viable eggs, as in, they may hatch if I leave them. How would I know if the hen who laid them is trying to hatch them? I rarely see a hen on them, and when I do, it's another hen with her tiny 3 chicks right on the eggs.

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Food, food, and more food! Of the treat variety that is....grapes should be a surefire way into their greedy little hearts. Can't say about the eggs. If you're not sure scramble them up and feed them to the chickens, another favorite treat of theirs. If they begin to associate you with yummys, they'll start to really look forward to your visiting. Try giving them the treats while you sit on a bucket or stool in the middle of them, so they get used to it. Good luck!

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I gave them bread last night, they could care less. Apples are also not liked. We have Grape vine on a fence. I can pick a few and see what happens...[​IMG]

4. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    There are a lot of different foods that chickens like, there are several threads on this site that talk about them. Like a lot of things, chickens are sometimes like toddlers, in that they don't know they like it until they try it. Mine don't really go for dry plain bread, but if I tear it up into pieces and put it in a shallow dish with milk, they love it. Yogurt is also a big hit around here, and fresh greens.

5. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    How recently did you get your chickens...because I got 2 a few weeks ago and one was stadoffish and the other was a wild woman...she is still a pullet but now Lacie the older one is the sweetest thing she loves her treats I would pick her up and sit her in my lap and pet her a few minutes then put her back in the coop and give her treats. Now she walks over and drops her head for scratches. We got another new hen and she is still warming up but I have faith in her.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    A week ago.

7. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:even if they won't be hand fed at this point, just them seeing you toss the food down helps. and if you hang out while they eat it they will get used to you and your movement and feel less threatened. good luck

8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Lol, move?! If I move, they stop moving/hide. They won't eat with me in there. As soon as they hear me opening the door, they run off to hide and don't come out until the door is locked.

9. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I'd get a bucket to sit on, and settle in for awhile with a good book or something. Sprinkle the food all around you, and just wait. Patience goes a long way! When some of my teenager hens decided I was dangerous, I would actually do that, and they eventually got over it. It takes lots of time....

10. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, they ate the Grapes and their poo's were colored accordingly, lol.

Oh, there is another egg, that makes 3 in the nest!
    I still have no idea if a hen is trying to hatch them or just likes to have them in a corner...
    Will eggs be ok without the hen sitting on them? How often does she need to sit on them for them to hatch? Are the eggs in 'stand by mode' until she is done laying the # she wants?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by