Getting new chickens, combining flocks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lil Mucket, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Lil Mucket

Lil Mucket Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    WA
    Hola!

So I'm finishing up my chicken tractor/coop this week and next weekend I will go get my hens. I'll probably get them off craigslist - I don't want to get chicks, I want to get pullets that are either already laying or about ready to lay.

Chances are, I won't get all my birds from one place. My daughter has her heart set on a barred rock, I really want to try leghorns and black stars, and I also want some colored eggers... you know how it goes!

Anyway so if I end up getting multiple birds from different places, they may also be different ages... here's my concern.

I've got a couple leads on hens. One farm has 1 yr old leghorns & eggers that I want (4 total), and another has as many 3 month old black Stars as I want, I'd probably get 4 of them. I also need to find a barred rock, but I'm worried that the other hens would pick on her because she'd not have any "friends" that came with her.

Am I overthinking this? Or would it be better to try and find a barred rock that came with a friend? I know it's inevitable that someone ends at the bottom of the pecking order, I just don't like the thought of "dooming" one of the girls to that position.

2. Betsy410

Betsy410 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2010
    Good Question. I have read that it is hard to integrate. I got 6 chicks last spring and our BO "Sunshine" turned out to be "Mr. Sunshine" and I lost a RIR over the winter so I would like to get 2 new chicks or pullets to replace them. I hope someone has some good stories.

Betsy

3. Lil Mucket

Lil Mucket Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    WA
    Thank you Dawn!

4. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    Does anyone think there is an issue with getting chicks from two different farms and mixing them together without any quarantine period?

5. ILikeChickens1978

ILikeChickens1978 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Cloud, FL
    Shouldn't be a problem. I've done it without an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by