Getting New Chickens or Chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Boris the Blade, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Boris the Blade

Boris the Blade New Egg

Nov 3, 2008
    Howdy. Just about to complete construction on our first coop. Now we need chickens. We live in NH so we decided we needed a hearty breed (winters) we settled on NH Reds. What would you all recommend for starting? Chickens or Chicks? The coop is not heated and housing chicks in our house until they are developed enough for the coop is not an option (dogs). Can I start with "seasoned" chickens? That is, hens. If so, does anyone have any advice, do's, don'ts, etc? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    If you can get grown birds at this time of year, I'd go ahead and get them. That way, they are hardier for the upcoming winter, they will need a draft free area to sleep, add bedding anyway, keeps the ground warmer for them.
    They wont lay for a few days after getting them, gotta settle in to the new home, owners etc.
    Good luck, hope it helps ya some. Pine good, cedar, not so good.
    Dont forget roosting areas, and laying area (for the eggs)

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I think a lot depends on the coop. Is it a solid building type coop that will not be drafty when winter storms blow? And how many are you talking about? Two or three or 25? If you have a solid, draft-free coop and you're getting at least 1/2 doz birds, then I'd go with chicks. Reason being that you will be more likely to get the breed you want, unless you already know someone in your area who raises NH Reds. If so, I'd think point of lay birds might be best. It's hard to really answer your question when there is not enough information.

4. Boris the Blade

Boris the Blade New Egg

Nov 3, 2008
    Quote:Solid Coop. 4 walls, roof and floor. We're thinking of 4 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by