1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting new chickens to add to my flock of 2...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KauAnnie, Jul 21, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    My friend who lives on a pasture has a ton of chickens. She has offered to let me catch some to add to my flock of 2, we use to have 3 but she is no longer with us. Her chickens are pretty wild, so any tips on how to catch them? And what should I look for in the chickens to make sure they're healthy?

Also, when we introduce them to our 2, what should I do and expect. Were planning to get 5. Thanks!!

2. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    If they are full grown, watch out! 5 may bully your 2, it just depends on the breed. [​IMG] If I were to try to catch a wilder type chicken, I would wait till they get settled down to roost at night. They are pretty helpless once they get up for the night.
    I hope you enjoy the chickens you will be getting! [​IMG]

3. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Erin~TheChickenLover :

If they are full grown, watch out! 5 may bully your 2, it just depends on the breed. [​IMG] If I were to try to catch a wilder type chicken, I would wait till they get settled down to roost at night. They are pretty helpless once they get up for the night.
    I hope you enjoy the chickens you will be getting! [​IMG]

So should I try to catch the younger looking ones?​

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    A fish net with a fairly long handle works nicely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by