Getting new chickens!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rdcowman, Oct 29, 2016.

1. rdcowman

rdcowman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I want to get more chickens sometime, but i have 10 already! How do i introduce them with my other chickens?

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    First thing when you bring home new chickens is they need to quarantined in an area the others have no access to in order to protect your current flock. You need to ensure they don't show signs of mites, lice, worms, or disease before introducing them. This gives the new ones a chance to adjust to their surroundings.

As far as introducing them goes I have done anything from placing them on the roost with the others after dark and letting them wake up together to putting them in a cage where the others can see them but not touch. Depends on how you think your flock is going to take to a new bird.

Why breed are you wanting to get? What breed do you have now?

3. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I have 5 Rhode island red and 5 Ameraucana's! I want to get more RIR! Ameraucana's aren't my favorite breed! RIR's have so much personality! I wanting to get maybe 10 more! So would i have to have another space for the new chickens? We have 2 big dog kennels that i bring them home in, i could put those in the run that the other chickens are in. Having them roost together is a good idea, i might try that!

4. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    So maybe build a small coop and area for the new chickens until they can go in with the other chickens?

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    That would be a great idea. Just make sure they are safe and weather protected :D

6. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Great, Awesome! Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by