Getting New Chicks! Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Zebra and Yolk, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Zebra and Yolk

Zebra and Yolk In the Brooder

Feb 26, 2019
    Hello! Thia os only my second post and in around 13 days I will have 10 new day-and-a-half old chicks! I have been doing do much research, but if there's anything you dont think I would know if you wouldn't mind, please share! :love

Melky likes this.
  2. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    IMG_3873.jpg Not sure what you need. Brooder set up 24 hours prior to arrival with starter grower crumble medicated for first 8 weeks at 20% protein. Choose if organic or not. Have fresh water available with sav a chick electrolytes in it for first five days then weekly for a boost. Dip beaks in water at tip to show water bowl for first hour of life. Make sure everyone knows where it is. Feed crumble after first hour of life. Keep food and water not more than 2 ft from heat source so can find easily but never under heat source so do not get overheated. Have heat source with temps first week 90-95, then wean weekly by 5 degrees every week till at 65-70 degrees then heat source off. Can go outside when feathered out at about 4-5 weeks earliest if temps warm if cool put outside at 6-8 weeks. If freezing temps still would have heat source for outside available in coop. Have thermometer to tell temp. Chick grit at week 3. May start greens and dried mealworms for protein at week 3. I put my greens in a peck n play ball for fun. They love that. Put a roosting bar in brooder to teach roosting at 5 inches of height. I also made and put a chick swing for fun. They totally loved that. I have article for directions how to make under my profile.

Also put marbles in water clean so can’t fall in and drown the babies. Can go to poultry grit and nonmedicated feed at 8 weeks. Medicated feed prevents risk of coccidiosis. Have fun! Ask questions. Take pics for us! :):clap:welcome:jumpy:jumpy:bun

N F C likes this.
  3. Zebra and Yolk

Feb 26, 2019
    Thank you so much! This information has helped me So much! I definitely will be taking plenty of pictures!

Melky likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C Champion

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Melky has given you some good information...the only thing I can think to add is to have a cover for your brooder. Those little things can fly up to the top and out sooner than you think they should!

What breeds of chicks are you getting?

Zebra and Yolk and Melky like this.
  5. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I concur with a netted top or screen that is breathable, allows heat down into the brooder, and contains them. They start to fly pretty soon 1-2 weeks. Also you will see as they get older a lot of chick dust and may need to dust and clean brooder items because of that. All normal. I also use pine mulch for bedding in brooder makes for easy clean up. Safe can’t eat. Just scoop with kitty litter scoop to clean and replace mulch fully at least weekly. I also scooped daily a little here and there to keep clean. Compost manure with mulch, great for the gardens! Wishing you Happy Healthy Chicks Zebra and Yolk! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Zebra and Yolk and N F C like this.
  6. Zebra and Yolk

Feb 26, 2019
    Thank you so much! Just fyi Zebra and Yolk are the names of my favorite chickens. Lol my name is Jadyn

Melky likes this.
  7. Zebra and Yolk

Feb 26, 2019
    I am getting 5 Easter Eggers, 5 Barred Rocks, and 2 Silver Campines

N F C and Melky like this.
  8. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I love my BR lays 70g dark brown eggs lg to x lg in size. I have not had Easter Eggers but most people like them and they are hardy for area. Love the Campine, thought about that once but decided if I got more it would probably be a Leghorn for white eggs and a Cream Legbar for blue eggs. My luck if I got an Easter Eagger it would not lay blue eggs. All great choices in breeds and pretty birds. :)

N F C likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: