Getting new chicks today...advice?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JodyJo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I am picking up a few EE chicks today, they are all supposed to be pullets, I have heard that one before, is there a sure way to tell, I do NOT want any more roos...I am tired of starting over!

2. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    sadly, no, not to my knowledge. who are you getting them from, though? maybe you can make a deal with them to exchange roos for pullets after you find out?

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

You can squeeze the poop out of them and check the vent area. There was a really good thread post on here a few months ago and had lots of pics that really showed the difference, but basically the female's will look more like and smooth oval and the males will have a small "bump". You can also search yahoo or google and check out other chicken educational web sites that will have pics showing the difference. There was even a "Dirty Jobs" episode where Mike Rowe had to "Sex the Chix", you could probably pull it up on u-tube.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I did see that post, these are all supposed to be pullets, but I have heard that one before! I have never sexed a chick, but this time may be the first! I may do a YouTube search and watch a video also...thx, I didn't think it would be easy!

5. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    Quote:you can only vent sex chicks from 1-3 days of age. plus, if you are inexperienced, you could hurt or kill your chicks, or not even get a correct answer (it's extremely difficult). if you're getting them from a feed store, and were 95% guaranteed pullet (or whatever they state the guarantee to be) they were already vent sexed anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by