Getting new hens used to roost and nest box

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jwaechtler, Aug 10, 2013.

1. jwaechtler

jwaechtler Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Napa, CA
    I got two new chickens yesterday. Any tips on how to help them get into and used to the roost and nesting area? I don't want to handle or stress them out too much. I put treats going up the ladder and a bit at the top but they only went up two steps. My next step was to take them and put them in there myself but again I don't want to stress them out since they are new and molting. Or will it be okay?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They'll get used to it and roost when they're ready. Just make sure they're in a predator proof place at night.
    If you put a fake egg, golf ball or something similar in the nest they'll figure it out.

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    What breed or breeds are your hens? How old are they?

If the hens are molting, they will probably not be interested in going in the nesting boxes.

Just make sure they have food and water. They should also have a run to scratch around or you can allow them to free range, if that is possible.

4. jwaechtler

May 24, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Thy are golden laced Cochins about 6 months old give or take. They have food and water and a safe enclosed coop. So they will go up the ramp to the Roost and nest area on their own when ready?

5. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I don't think they shouldn't be molting at 6 months old.

Your hens should start laying eggs at any time. They will go on the roost and the nesting boxes when they are ready and if they can easily get to them. Make sure the nesting boxes and the roost can be reached by your hens. Nesting boxes do not need to be very high off the ground.

6. jwaechtler

May 24, 2013
    Napa, CA
    When do they usually molt? I thought it was end of summer time? I got them and the lady said they were molting and have hair loss around the tail, under wings and some near their neck.

7. jwaechtler

May 24, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Some of the molting you can see here [​IMG]

8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Chickens usually molt at about 18 months old. They lose their feathers. I am not sure what you mean when you say they have lost hair.

Is it possible that the lady sold you hens that are older than 6 months?

9. jwaechtler

May 24, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Oops yeah I meant feathers not hair. She said they are about to lay so I figured its about 6 months old but I don't know. I can try asking her again. :-/

10. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Well, chicks do go through molting, and I know Cochins are late developers. So that may be the molting we are talking about.

Cochins can start laying eggs from 6 months to 8 months, I understand.

Most likely everything is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by