Getting New Incubator!! UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PeepMomma, Apr 27, 2009.

1. PeepMomma

PeepMomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Edmonson Co. Kentucky
    OH NO!! The greatest news! A friend of my Husband is giving me an incubator! My husband said he was talking to this fellow about my chicks and chickens and the guy told him he had an incubator he would give us. My husband originally told him no, but after he told me and I freaked out, he told the guy we would take it! And all I have to give him is some chocolate oatmeal cookies!! I am so excited and know I am going to have a million and one questions for you all. Hope your prepared! You all have been so friendly to me and I appreciate it!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Congratulations, now youll be hooked on hatching. [​IMG]

3. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    If there is any incubating questions I can help you with please let me know!

4. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have a question. What is the best kind of incubator to buy. I only need to hatch a dozen eggs at a time. I would like to be able to put the eggs in and whaaalaaa! I think I might have hi-jacked this thread:/ I dont even know how many days it takes to hatch a chick! I just know that its next to impossible to get the chicks that you want from the hatcheries. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    I have a question. What is the best kind of incubator to buy. I only need to hatch a doze eggs at a time. I would like to be able to put the eggs in and whaaalaaa! I think I might have hijacked this thread:/ I dont even know how many days it takes to hatch a chick! I just know that its next to impossible to get the chicks that you want from the hatcheries. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote:

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I find the Little Giant, even though far from the most expensive or fancy incubators, work just fine. I purchased mine from Eggcartons.com. You might want to check them out. I would recommended getting one with the egg turner and forced air. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

7. ging3rhoffman

Feb 23, 2009
    Thank you so much...I will have a go have a look. [​IMG]

8. PeepMomma

Apr 8, 2009
    Edmonson Co. Kentucky
    Quote:Thanks so much! this is incredibly new and exciting to me and I can't wait......now to find some eggs!

9. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:
    For a good cheap full view Hova-Bator incubator,, this is the place that I found to be the cheapest and imho is a lot better than the LG brand.. $52 You do have watch daily and regulate very slightly due the change in the eggs even with Hova-Bator.. I have 3 Hova-Bators now..

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/reptile-incubators/

I read here on this board that lots of people are having problems with the temps. fluctuating on LGs.. [​IMG]

But I also have read that the 1588 with the electronic termistate is even better but with the auto egg turner you're out about $180 .. [​IMG]

10. PeepMomma

Apr 8, 2009
    Edmonson Co. Kentucky
    Ok everyone! I got the new incubator. It is a Little Giant Still Air Incubator. It looks to be a pretty simple thing to operate. Having never had an incubator before, I am unsure. Does anyone have any knowlege of these, or any ideas where I go from here? We do have it turned on to make sure that it will actually work. The red light on top came on so it is getting power, we are waiting to see if it warms up before introducing any eggs to it. Any suggestions will be helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by