1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting new Rooster this weekend...any tips on starting out Alpha???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thegoogers, Oct 21, 2008.

1. thegoogers

thegoogers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Cleveland, TN
    My wife and I are very new to chickens so bare with us on the learning curve! lol !! We are getting a tio of Welsummers this weekend that are approx 21 weeks old. The trio consists of one roo and 2 hens. I have built a 4'x8 coop with roost/hen house and a seperate laying box on the oppoite end of the coop. I wanted to know if there is any certain way to release the roo and hens that will help as far as establishing me as the Alpha. I don't want to start out on the wrong foot, making things harder down the road. The roo is already crowing and is roughly 24" tall. So I assume he is already "maturing".

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Patrick

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, you should fed, water, and provide protection for the roo; but don't baby him! You have hens for loving.

3. thegoogers

thegoogers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Cleveland, TN
    From what I have read I don't plan on "loving" on the roo - I just didn't want to start things out on bad note. I didn't know if there was anything I should do at our first meeting to establish that I am the alpha. Guess I can just let him out in the coop and go from there.

Thanks for the input

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nah, there's a good chance you won't have any trouble with him. If you basically ignore him but he sees the hens coming to you for treats, affection, etc. it might just click in his brain that hey! that's the alpha - I better be on my best behavior around him.
    Good luck with your new feathered friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by