Getting older hens to accept young rooster.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaybud, Jan 29, 2017.

1. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    So I'm trying to get three older D'anver hens to accept a young D'anver rooster. The older hens where with a rooster before but he died from being sick. So I'm trying to replace the rooster but the hens ain't having it by fighting him. I have a mixed flock who free ranges so I'm familiar with integrating other chickens in and tactics to make it work. But for some reason these hens are just so stubborn and have ever since push my large fowl eggs layers around. I'm open to any suggestions, I'm struggling with this one.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How long have you had him in with them? How old is your rooster? If he's under a year old, it may take a while for them to accept him. He is going to have to earn his place, too. They aren't just going to let some young punk come in and take over. Actually, it's not a bad thing if he's still a randy cockerel for them to teach him some manners. Give him some time to grow up and they'll likely work things out.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  3. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    He is about 8 months old and the hens are a little over 1yr. I only left the hen in there for about 5 mins in fear of the fighting might mess him up. It's just weird, I have thrown older hens out to my younger stag rooster and he jumps right on them with his wing dance. Not the case with this breed I guess.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    But the other one isn't a stranger to them, is he? And how old is that one? Your young cockerel needs a chance to grow up a little and earn the respect of those old ladies. Chickens aren't little feathered humans, I realize, but this is kind of like trying to get a teenager to keep a bunch of middle aged women in line. Ain't gonna happen! (The analogy ends there, because it just gets creepy after that...) Once he's matured, he should have no problems with them. If there was no blood being drawn, and he wasn't being mercilessly pinned to the ground, I'd let them work things out.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by