1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting older hens to perch??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sara Smith, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Sara Smith

Sara Smith Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2014
    Is it possible to get older hens and a rooster to perch? They are a little over a year and have always just huddled in a corner. This has never been an issue until recently when I've came out two days in a row one has been dead. It has been raining but it seems like one is being trampled a night.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    That's odd that year old chickens aren't roosting. Even battery hens that never had the opportunity to roost will when you give them the opportunity. How high up is the roost? Dimensions? I would pick them up and place them on the roost after they go to bed. They should stay there.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there Sara Smith

To answer you question; yes it is! :)

I adopted a bantam Langshan who had slept in the nest box but I was able to teach her to sleep on a roost. As Percheron chick suggests, if you pop them on the roost after dark they will stay there and after a while, will learn to go to the roost and prefer it.

What breed of chickens do you have?

Silkies prefer to sleep in a huddle but having said that, if you have a roost low enough for them, they can also be taught to sleep on that.

4. Sara Smith

Aug 21, 2014
    I have tried doing that but they won't stay. I don't know the dimensions but my previous chickens were fine with it. It's odd because their babies don't either. I have them separate with others I have bought the ones I bought do but their babies huddle together.

5. Sara Smith

Aug 21, 2014
    How many time should I chase them around the coop to get them up there? They are Wyandottes.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  6. Teila

Are you maybe putting them on the roost too early?

If it is dark, chickens very rarely move, so if you pop them on the roost in darkness, they should stay.

I have a determined broody who I have to pop on the roost at nighttime; if I do it too early she just jumps straight back down into the nest box. If I leave it until 3/4 of an hour to an hour after they have gone to bed and then pop her on the roost, she stays.

How old are the babies? They may still be a bit too young to roost and are still huddling for the warmth and protection.

7. Teila

If you are having to chase them around the coop to put them on the roost, it definitely sounds like you are doing it a little early.

If you leave it until later when they are settled you should have more success with no chasing required. Just pick them up from where they have huddled and pop them on the roost. Do this for a week or so and they should get the idea.

All of the above is dependent on them being able to get to the roost, not too high etc.

8. Sara Smith

Aug 21, 2014
    No I usually don't go out until after 10 but they start getting all crazy and flying over my head when I set them up there. I guess I should just keep trying and also start with their babies.

9. Teila

Hhhm, that makes me wonder how much light you have when you move them?

And please do not get me wrong, I am just trying to help here, not questioning your methods etc [​IMG]

When I am moving the chickens at night or pretty much doing anything I need to at night with them, I only take a very dim torch with me to give myself just enough light to be able to get around and do what I need to do without hurting them or myself :)

If they are flying over your head etc it may be that there is too much light .. chickens generally stay put if it is dark.

Having said that, I have read that some chickens will move around at night, even eat, but these would be in the minority. Not to put a dampener on your efforts but you could just have some of those chickens in the minority [​IMG]

10. Sara Smith

Aug 21, 2014
    Oh man. Well I usually only take a glow stick. It's neon green kinda bright but I didn't think it was too bright. They do however move around in the night my rooster thinks it's fun to crow throughout the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by