Getting one or two 6 week old silkies.... heat etc.?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Dec 1, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

It gets down to 20 at night these days in vermont... I've only had chicks in spring, and not really this age.. what is the care protocol for these birds? Heat lamp? are they still getting chick food?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Heat lamp, chick feed. Keep a close eye on them!

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

what would be the minimum temp hey could survive?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    chickensducks&agoose :

what would be the minimum temp hey could survive?

Based on their age about 60 degrees.

Mine are almost 6 weeks old, and I give them the heat lamp at night only right now. But I'm in CA so we are high 60's low 70's during the day and they are in an insulated building. I'm slowly weaning them off the heat lamp. Next week, I'll take it away at night and see how they do.​

5. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my silkies are 9 weeks old and I give them 2 heat lamps and they have plenty of room to get away and they also have 2 pet carriers that I have hay in... they have their choice of where to be...

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have 6-8 week olds now, and they are still in the house. I am afraid to put them out there [​IMG]

7. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    6-8 week old still in the house 6ft X 6ft space with window and red heat lamp for 14 silkie chicks. $200 is to much money to throw out side. There sooooo cute I go in there and open the side gate and sit down , they all come running, jumping all over me, price less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by