Getting our first chicks this weekend!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by albertagirl1, Mar 9, 2017.

1. albertagirl1

albertagirl1 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi guys! This is my first post here but I've been lurking ever since we moved to our acreage last July and I have some questions as I've never bought chicks before. Ive been looking for somewhere that I could get some chicks without meeting the 25 minimum order that the hatcheries around me need and found some on Kijiji the other day. We'll be getting 3 Black Orpingtons and 3 Polish chicks. From what I read the breeds should get along ok, hopefully! They're coming from two different places, the polish will be 6 days old and the Orpingtons will be 2 days old- is it ok to put them all in the brooder together or should I make another one?
    My husband thinks it's too early to get chicks because our coop hasn't been started yet (and there's still snow on the ground...) but I told him they have to live inside anyways for several weeks and I have a spare room in the basement set up for them, so I'd imagine the coop will be done or at least move in ready by the time they can move outside. I have no way to power the coop and we're by Edmonton (AB, Canada) so it gets cold overnight in the spring still- is there a minimum temp or age they should be moved at? I don't want them to freeze but I also don't want them living inside forever haha.
    I'm so excited for our new babies, hubby wanted older hens so we can get eggs right away but I've wanted to raise chicks since we raised them for a week in my Grade 8 social studies class haha. Plus we have dogs and nieces and nephews so I wanted the babies to grow up being exposed to them so *hopefully* everyone gets along when their older.
    I've got lots to learn still so if anyone has any newbie tips for me my ears are open!!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. albertagirl1

albertagirl1 Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh one more question- is it possible for a coop to be too big? I'm only technically allowed 10 chickens in our county but we have lots of room and the coop we were looking at building is 8x16. Should I maybe make it 8x12 instead so they stay warmer in winter, or is it good to have lots of room?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by