Getting Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Ancona Ducks, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Ancona Ducks

Ancona Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    I am getting some courtnix quail soon and it would help if U guys have a list of stuff to buy thanks

2. Ancona Ducks

Mar 14, 2017
    Also can I use a dog crate as an inclosure and where I live it drops to 20 degrees in winter and goes to 100 degrees in summer. Will I need any heating in the winter.

3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    This thread has several links in other discussions and articles that should answer most of your questions. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rchives-important-frequently-requested-topics

I'd have a few concerns about using a dog crate. Will it protect them from the predators in your area? Even in residential neighborhoods you'll have to deal with animals that want o eat your quail. Raccoons are everywhere; they will grab a bird and eat it through wire if the space is big enough for them to get their paws through. What is the bottom like? If it is wire bottom and the spaces are really far apart it might be hard on the quail as they try to get around. You'll want to make sure it provides enough space for the number of quail you want to keep. You'll also need to consider how to protect them from rain and snow.

They will be fine in winter as long as they have a place to get out of the wind. But you will have to figure out how you will provide water in the freezing temperatures. In the summer they will need access to shady areas.

4. Ancona Ducks

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks for the info I'll have to tweak some things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by