Getting ready for future puppy owners first visit... Any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, Jul 3, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Hello! Annie's pups will be four weeks old next friday and we have some of the future owners coming to see the pups(though they won't leave till they are 8-10wks old) and choose their pup over the weekend, it has been hard keeping them waiting this long, but I wanted to wait till they where more mobile and mom was less worried about others handling them. We have one family coming Saturday the 9th in the afternoon and another on Sunday morning, and one more sometime the following week.
    As this is our first litter I was hoping for any suggestions to make the process more plesent for all involved. I plan to set up their exercise pen in the living room (where we put it for their daily play time) so it will be in an area they are comfortable with. All three families have narrowed it down to three of the five pups, it will be first come first serve though. First family to visit will get first choice etc, I know which three I want to be in pet homes and which I would do better as hunting dogs (not that the two are exclusive, but here some times hunting dogs are not housed indoors, and three of these pups are way to social for that). I am thinking of having them simply view the pups for a bit before any handling is actually done. Obviously the two children will be shown how to carefully handle a puppy. I am very happy with these three families all have owned dogs in the past, all of which passed away of old age, one at the age of 14! One still has a dog who I have met and is a very spoiled guy, who loves to play with other dogs.

They will each leave their deposit for the puppy (half the price) when they have chosen the pup they want. I have a contract written up explaining the whole thing, I just need to print it out. Any other suggestions? Things to ask? Things to watch for?

I want to make the experience as wonderful for everyone involved as possible, including Annie.

Thanks in advance!
    Melissa

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Have your contract written up in advance, and if you can, include a photo of the puppy on the contract. Also, take a pic of them holding the puppy. Sometimes puppies change quite a bit in the next four to six weeks, and people want to switch later. No can do, unless its for a puppy not spoken for yet.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have great reservations about anyone visiting or handling puppies until they have had their second parvovirus shot. I raise pups for myself and do not sell dogs so I do not have to allow people near my young dogs. If it were me, I would not allow them to handle the puppies unless they have been immunized. I am probably somewhat paranoid because My dogs got hit with parvovirus once and it is an extremely contagious, disheartening, deadly disease.

4. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Sourland, I also worry about this but it is standard procedure around here to do a visit at four weeks. The families who are coming either have no dogs or their dogs are immunized. They will still be required to remove shoes and do a thourough hand washing before handling the puppies. Our vet said this is over reacting, but I would rather be safe then sorry. My mother lost a whole litter of Basenji's to distemper over thirty years ago, so I understand that precautions must be taken.

How are your girl's pups doing? I can't belive how quick these guys have grown! I wish we could just keep them all.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I don't think you are over reacting. I brought the parvovirus home when I visited a friend's kennel, stuck my head in the door, smelled, and said, "You have parvovirus." Went home and immediately changed and washed my clothing. I had two litters of pups at the time and lost both litters.

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I recently purchased a pup ( my second GSD); he came home feb 12.
    1). Any breeder who told me "come pick out your puppy" would be something I would run away screaming. Esp "pick one out at 4 weeks"

As a puppy buyer, I expect my dog's breeder to know more about me than my priest, mother, and the CIA. I expect to provide personal (dog experience) references, vet references, history of my past/current dogs, training experience, what I plan to do with the dog (hunting? Obedience? Pet?) Since I rent, I also expect to provide written proof that my landlord allows dogs and has no breed/size restrictions that would affect me taking the dog.
    I expect a contract outlining anythings else the breeder expects of me - spay/neuter, refunds off the purchase price for titles on the dog, return to breeder if I can't keep the dog.

In return, I expect a dog that has at least first puppy shots, current worming, guarantee that it is in good health at the time of purchase. I expect the pup to be socialized with men and women (children are a HUGE plus), to be used to bathing and grooming. I expect at least some start on housebreaking (Singe was papertrained because the spring snows were too much for young pups to be outside). I expect the breeder to match the best pup to me, using all of the info from my interviews. Again, saying "come pick out a pup" would be my cue to exit. At 4 weeks, all you have to go on is the cute furry faces. Personalities will change soooo much in the next 4 weeks, so that isn't remotely useful at this point.

I don't ever cut corners when I'm choosing a new dog to add to my family. I plan to live with this animal for at least the next decade, so it has to fit into my plans and lifestyle.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    a friend of mine called me the other day and told me she got all heryoung litters completely wiped out by parvo this year. There does seem to be a very virulent strain gong around. I lost a single puppy that was already four and a half months old, fully vaccinated, from another adult dog I took to the vet just to x-ray her because she looked like she had a sore throat and wanted to make sure she hadn't got something stuck. I almost ALWAYS bathe any dog from the vets the second it comes home, but this time put her out to potty, got side tracked and a week later, mikey was dead. None of the others got it, thank god.

8. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    All buyers get pics once a week or more. Deposits are taken before breeding takes place, first deposit, first pick, within reason. I do suggest pups that will fit, these are preformance dogs, and if I feel one is too much dog for a new owner I will not sell them that pup, they can take the one I suggest, or they can have their deposit back. Most buyers come to me for a certain 'type' of dog, and know what I am looking to produce (have at least twelve generations of tests and titles to prove it), so they will take my word on what will work for them. I have never had to take pup back because it didn't work out. Just send 4 of a litter of seven this week, one will fly to FL next week. All picked off of pictures and my word.

9. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I agree with the others...i would not let people come and see the pups at this age. And as a buyer, NO WAY would I every pick a puppy at 4 weeks of age. My breeder knows what I want and picking a pup based on it's color or pattern is the LEAST of my concerns and at this age, that's all they are doing. I am getting lots of pics from my breeder and will let her know which one appeals to me the most based on the color, but ultimately SHE knows them much better than I ever will even if I held off my visit until 8 weeks. A short visit is not going to tell me a thing about each pups real personality.

10. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Well now I am reconsidering, I am not sure what to do. These people either don't have dogs, or their dogs are immunized, I thought thorough hand washing and antibacterial soap would be good enough. How are you suppose to "socialize" the young puppies if no one can be around them but yourself???

As far as letting them pick their puppy, I have already steered them in the right direction, and I can tell already which pups are friendlier which are more laid back, which is the "bully" etc. They have narrowed it down to two or three puppies, and I have been told it's okay to let them ultimatly pick their puppy.

Also these are not show dogs, they are simply pets, hunters possibly, but mainly these three families just want a pet, they have passed all the reference checks (which I did) I contacted their past vets, have visited two of their homes (the third is a two hour drive) and have seen pictures of it and the yard. We have discussed everything from spay and neuter to fencing, I almost know more about these people then my own family at this point, and felt comfortable allowing them into my home.

Now I really have no idea what to do. I have posted this on a breeder forum and will see what their advice is, its hard enough knowing these puppies have to go to new homes in 4-6 more weeks, I sure don't want to hurt them or get them sick. I called my vet again as well, he is suppose to call me back later today. Guess I will go from their.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by