Getting ready for Lockdown, which eggs should I pull?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lizrndiver, Jan 15, 2011.

1. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    I will be going into lockdown tomorrow [​IMG].

I candled on day 8 and pulled the clear eggs. I candled on day 15 and pulled some obvious quitters [​IMG].

I am getting ready for lockdown tomorrow. I have an automatic turner that I will pull.

I will replace it with shelf liner and egg cartons with the bottoms cut out and the sides trimmed.

I figure I will candle on last time as I place them all back in, but I am unsure if I should only put in eggs where I can see movement or any that seems dark enough from being filled with chick.

Any tips? Does the egg carton trick work better than just placing them on the bator rack? [​IMG]

I thought I read that I need to keep the eggs the same height that they were in the racks. Also if they go on the bator wire rack on their sides, does the chick have a harder time pipping?

I know it is a lot of questions, but this is my first chicken hatch. I have hatched quail before, but you can't see a thing with them.[​IMG]

Thanks....

Liz

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well There are various different trains of thought when it comes to placing eggs during lockdown.. I just put them on the wire rack and never had any problem. What type of bator do you have? And what kinda eggs are you hatching?

3. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    I have a Hovabator Genesis. I am hatching a mix of some shipped BBS Orpingtons, BBS Americaunas, Light, Buff, Red, and Coronation Sussex and some mutts from my own flock.

So would you leave them all in? I have a few I can tell have a ruptured air cell. They are larger than the others and very irregular. So far though, they seem to be developing.

Liz

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Liz... The ones that have the bad air sac I would put in an egg carton small side down... The rest that you know are good should do fine flat on the rack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by