1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting ready for my first hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by country boy 91, Oct 3, 2016.

1. country boy 91

country boy 91 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Got my new to me GQF cabinet incubator all cleaned up and heating up. Waiting on a buddy to bring some eggs to put in it. What should my temp and humidity be and should my 6 vents on the back be open or closed

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :frow

I've not used this make of incubator before so I'm not sure on your vents but I would start with them all open and see how it settles with temp and humidity. I would recommend running it for at least 24 hours before setting your eggs. Have you double checked that your temp is reading correct? A second known to be correct thermometer is always good just to make sure. As for temp if it has a fan 37.5c/99.5f is needed. Humidity can be a varying thing depending on your environment and incubator. For me and mine I find 35% works well upto day eighteen then I bump it up to at least 65% for lockdown. When I candle I check air cell growth and adjust humidity accordingly. Air cell too small I take it down a few %, air cell too big and I put it up a few %. As long as you have a good average and they grow large enough you should be ok.
    If you have not already please do check out this article ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    Lots of super info there.

Good luck and I hope you have a great hatch :fl

3. country boy 91

Sep 6, 2016
    OK thinks for the info

4. country boy 91

Sep 6, 2016
    I've been trying to upload pics. The vents on mine are 6 2" holes 3 top and 3 bottom with a metal plate that pivots so you can open or close completely

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by