getting ready for winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kyrose, Oct 20, 2009.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i have alot of small breed birds,d'uccles,bantam polish,silkies,bantam cochins.how hardy are they?
    thanks

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Winters here in KY can be hard on birds, especially bantams like Silkies. You will want to make sure they have pens/coops/tractors that remain dry and free of drafts, and will keep them safe from the predators that the cold weather will send out seeking food.

Where are you keeping your birds now?

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Be sure to check in the Coop section, too, where there are several threads discussing winter...[​IMG]

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Hey Lynne, my husband is a Haligonian! Born and raised in NS, but living in KY now. <waves to the far northeast>

[​IMG]

5. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:they are in a chicken coop.there are plenty of birds with them to keep them warm and i think we have covered all the drafty holes and we have 2 ventillation windows across from eachother at the top of the coop.i am getting d e this weekend to help keep it dry.anything else i need to do.oh yeah they are only 2 months old so when the nights get real chilly i have a heat lamp in with them.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have a few little bantams and they do just fine, in face one of my bantam hens likes to sleep alone on a shelf in the coop without cuddling up to all the rest of the chickens, she made it through last winter without any added heating.

My roo is a bantam as well, and a big CHICKEN when its cold [​IMG] He cuddles up next to the standard girls and puts his head under THEIR wings! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by