Getting ready for Winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by curranchickens, Oct 3, 2011.

1. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    I have a 5 gallon bucket with poultry nipples on the bottom for my chickens. I wanted to do an elaborate system of pvc pipes and nipples but resisted due to the thought of them freezing up during winter. I now only have to worry about keeping the bucket from freezing. I have looked into de-icers and have decided on this one from amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...03E8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1317658671&sr=8-6

Does anyone have this particular model? If so, can you tell me how you like it?

2. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Hey, not to hi-jack your thread but I'm in the same situation you are. I had an idea of using a small aquarium heater. They are much cheaper and just seemed like they would work well. I'm not sure yet though since I haven't tried it.

3. mhn1957

mhn1957 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    McDermott, Ohio
    I have never overwintered chickens. Last year I bought a heated dog dish, but didn't need it, as I gave my one chicken away to hang with other peeps. The dog dish is full of water and plugged in. (I can't remember the wattage.)
    This year, I bought 2 "K&H Ice Eliminator BirdBath 50-Watt De-Icer"s, one for the birdbath that is in the pond and the other for a shallow dish I'm going to try in the hen yard. These are supposedly good at keeping the center of the bird bath open. 200 watts seems like plenty for a good sized water container.

4. curranchickens

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Quote:I thought about that as well. I have read, however, that the thermostats on aquarium heaters only range from 60 degrees and up. People say that the water does not need to be that hot... only about 30 degrees... although the heater I posted would cost alittle more, energy to operate it would cost less. Also the cast iron will for sure last much longer then a glass aquarium heater. I would think that in the long run, it would be cheaper to buy the quaility unit that can heat to the proper temp.

5. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    That's a good point I hadn't thought about the fact that aquarium heaters are set so high. I wonder how much energy a small 50 watt aquarium heater would use at higher temps vs. a higher watt (250) bucket heater that would keep it at a lower temp. Anybody knowledgeable on that subject?

250 watts seems like a lot for a 5 gallon bucket. I wonder if you could find a lower wattage heater that wouldn't heat as high as an aquarium heater...

6. curranchickens

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Quote:Most heaters I have found are 1500 watts... I have actually heard a few people say that they have had to put two of the 250 watt heaters in during the REALLY cold month/s.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by