Getting ready to build my coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wallis, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Wallis

Wallis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    [email protected]
    and I'd like to know if my choice to put in four laying/nesting boxes for four pullets is an okay number. I know they share however I have ample room for that many. Thoughts, comments?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A general rule of thumb if you have a few chickens is one nest for every four hens. If you have quite a few chickens, that can drop since they share.

For four hens I’d use two. It will not hurt anything at all to have more but you won’t need them. You could probably get away with just one for four hens, but I like to have the extra flexibility two nests provides. Stuff happens when you deal with living animals.

3. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    [​IMG]ditto

1 person likes this.
  4. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I always add more boxes than needed. If you have 4 chickens and only put in 1 nest box then what are you going to do if one of your hens go broody and is sitting in that box all day? I ran across this before when I first started with chickens. Alot of people will say the ratio is 4:1 but that didnt work for me. LOL I use the ratio 4: 2.

5. Wallis

Wallis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    [email protected]
    Thanks all...I've revamped my design and will put in 3 boxes...to start ;)

6. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by